Hello. I am faced wirh the challenge of creating an educational plan for a medical-surgical unit I am assigned in that will add a 15 bed telemetry wing.
Some facts about the unit:
1. All of the nurses have not worked with telemetry before
2. No one has prior knowledge on EKG interpretation
3. No one is ACLS certified
4. No one has seen, touched or worked with a cardiac monitor before
5. Staff tenure is between 6 months- 25 years
6. Currently our hospital is offering a 2 day 16 hour EKG clasd
1. unit is opening in September
2. Management does not have buy in for the 16 hour EKG class and the 16 hour ACLS class
I an an ER / Critical Care Nurse by experience. I walked into nursing with the sound and sight of minitors hounding my nursing existence daily.I just do not know where to start considering that there are no monitors in the unit yet to use for staff education.