Visual problems & nursing...Register Today!
- by andreasmom02 Oct 25, '09Anyone else here have a visual problem & work as a nurse? I'm a 29 year female. I' married and have two daughters. I am clinically blind in my left eye and am an LPN. I was born clinically blind in the left eye because of a congenital cataract and lens abnormality in that eye. Looking at me you can't tell anything is wrong though. It has never affected my ability to read, drive, or function in life. I function just like anyone else with 20/20 vision basically. I have 20/20 vision in my good eye with my glasses on. I have never met any other nurses with visual disabilities in person, but have emailed a few online. I was just wondering if there were any other nurses here with similar visual disabilities I could connect with? Thanks...
- Oct 25, '09 by traumaRUsI am legally blind in my right eye due to a congenital issues also. I've been a nurse for almost 18 years in various capacities and have never found any difficulty.
- Oct 27, '09 by andreasmom02Hey, thanks for your reply! Neat - it's fun to find others like me, though I do wish we didn't have any problems with our eyes. What kind of congenital problem do you have? I have a congenital cataract in my bad eye called "posterior lenticonus".
- Oct 31, '09 by traumaRUsI was exposed to some badness in utero and as a result I have crossed eyes and lazy eye and since it wasn't corrected as a child, my brain says that I don't have sight - lol.
The only time I even know there is a problem is with my peripheral vision. That; and taking me to a 3-d movie is a waste of money!
- Nov 1, '09 by andreasmom02That's kinda how I am... my cataract wasn't corrected, so my brain shut off vision to most of the eye. I only have some peripheral vision in it. My parents didn't correct the eye because it was a risky surgery then, and wasn't typical cataract surgery. I'm glad they didn't though. I've read many people who had that surgery as children ended up losing their eye completely. I at least have a little vision in it. I am also near sighted & have floaters in my good eye. lol Lucky me!