HELP! 1st job interview after 4 years...when do I tell them I'm an addict?
- 0Dec 1, '11 by mavdreamsHello Everyone! I have my first job interview after having my license suspended in 2007 and reinstated in 2010. I've been clean and sober for 3+ years and am currently being monitored by the state of MInnesota monitoring program (with the screens, doctors reports, etc.)
My interview is on Tuesday for a generic med surg position and obviously I want the job. I'm concerned about when is the appropriate time to tell them I'm an addict. I'm not positive if there is one or two interviews but I am thinking there is only one. I have heard conflicting ideas as far as when I tell them. One opinion is that I tell them in the first interview (which scares me), and the other idea I've heard is to tell them AFTER they offer the job, because then you are covered under ADA.
Any ideas? Thanks so much!
- 2,286 Visits
- 0Dec 2, '11 by mavdreamsThanks for replying!
They do not ask about constrictions or limited licenses. The only thing they ask is:
* Have you ever been convicted, pleaded guilty or nolo contendere to a petty misdemeanor, misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor or felony? If yes, please disclose any and all convictions, pleas of guilty or pleas of nolo contendere.
I have no crimes of any kind, including any diversion related things. I was lucky I guess.
- 0Dec 2, '11 by backtoworkI think the best advise I have read here is to feel out the interview as you go though it and if it looks like they are going to hire you, find your spot and explain your monitoring situation with as few details as possible. Please let us know how it goes..I am rooting for you all the way.
- 0Dec 2, '11 by KelRN215Does your state's licensing board list disciplinary action or suspensions? I ask because I know they do in Massachusetts and it's entirely possible (maybe even likely) that they will already know you had a suspended license and are on probation before you even get to the interview. I do not know if it's wise to bring it up before they ask but if you don't bring it up, they may think you're hiding something. I'm not being very helpful- sorry!
- 0Dec 6, '11 by mavdreamsI had the interview this morning so I dont have any results yet. I did NOT talk about my addiction and suspended license. i will tell them if/when i got the job. As far as the interview and even the application, im lucky becuz it mever came up. If it had come up my plan was to say I left for personal reasons, which isn't really lying, in my opinion at least. when/if they offer the job, I will tell them cuz at that point we are covered by ADA!!! Hopefully it doesn't bite me in the arse. I'm considering it practice at least. I pray all day long. Gods will right? I'm sure you understand how defeating and stressful it is. Self esteem destroyer and scares me that I'll never get another job. Try the personal issues thing. That's what my case manager recommended. It won't hurt I guess. Good luck and let me know how its going! I'll post how the rest of this thing works. I at least have some hope now!