Canadian Nurse wanting to work in US - HELP!

  1. I'm wondering if anyone can help me at all...
    I am currently a new grad from Toronto, and I am in the process of getting my authority to test letter from the state of Florida... This process has been traumatizing and very discouraging. There is no clear cut way that I have found to work in the US as a nurse, and I'm looking for some feedback...

    I have waiting 9 weeks for my education evaluation, in which it states that although the company that did the evaluation finds me eligible, there are some deficiencies in my education, and now Florida has to have a board meeting in December to evaluate whether they will let me write the exam or not.

    Has anyone experienced this??
    I'm trying my best to get to florida because the love of my life is waiting for me to start our lives together, and I seem to be the ideal example of murphy's law...

    Has anyone immigrated to the US from Canada that might be able to give me some advice or tips??

    I've even looked at other forms of visas like fiance visa, but I just don't have enough resources or information to decide what exactly will ensure that I get down there? and work as a nurse?

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thank you!
  2. 5 Comments

  3. by   Silverdragon102
    Moved to the Nurse Registration forum

    There is a couple of threads discussing this issue so may want to do a search. I think they was able to get something sorted. What visa are you looking at getting to work in the US. K1 or CR1? Both visas take I believe 8-12 months. As a Canadian Citizen you should be able to use the NAFTA visa but will require a employer who gives you a detailed letter of employment and once you have sat and passed NCLEX you will need visa screen certificate from CGFNS
  4. by   Silverdragon102
    This should explain different visas if marrying a USC USCIS - Family
  5. by   PSRN12
    Thank you so much for your response! I was looking at doing the TN visa through the NAFTA agreement... but I may end up having to take extra courses if florida thinks I do not have sufficient education from my Bachelor's degree in Toronto, even before I'm able to write the NCLEX. THEN... if that happens, I'm not sure if I can take the courses IN florida or not?

    I then have to get through the Visa Screen, then get approved for the TN Visa interview... I'm wondering what the best way to go about this is. I don't have anyone in my personal life who has gone through this, so I'm overwhelmed and discouraged.

    I wouldn't mind doing either of the K1 or CR1 if that means it's quicker than the TN?
  6. by   Silverdragon102
    If you plan to get married and he is a US citizen then probably easier to go the K1 route and get married within 90 days of arriving in the US and change status or CR1 and after getting married apply for immigrant visa either way process is less than 12 months and you can work anywhere or study without restrictions.
  7. by   PSRN12
    Thank you for your response! I appreciate it!