DUI - advice
- 0Dec 12, '07 by UKPedsRNHi my friend has recently applied to the NM state board. He just told me that he has a conviction for driving under the influence, and then for driving whilst disqualified.
I have spent the last hour on the BON site and links, but can not confirm whether this will affect his application. He is currently he in the UK.
I used to work in CA and I know that there are some states where any conviction is an issue.
Can anyone clarify what the NM BON regs are - as I say I have just spent the last hour trying to fiqure out.
Thanks in advance!
- 0Dec 12, '07 by mercyteapotThey might not be posted because the state considers such things on a case by case basis. For sure, your friend will need to report the conviction. The BON will then study supporting documentation and make a decision.
I personally wonder if the driving while disqualified won't get them in more trouble than the original DUI. IMO, it is one thing to forgive a person a one time indiscretion. It is another to overlook behavior that suggests one is thumbing their nose instead of attempting to clean up their act.
- 0Dec 12, '07 by UKPedsRNI agree with you. He was asking my advice as I have worked in the US. I was giving him advice about working abroad when he mentioned his offences. I thought it would affect him, but wanted to be sure before I burst his bubble.
I have now heard that legislation now views a DUI as a "mental disorder" - he will be very happy to hear that, as surpise surprise he is a mental health nurse.
Thanks for your help !
- 0Dec 12, '07 by Silverdragon102, RN AdminQuestions we seem to be encountering more and more often have to do with the effects of a criminal history on nursing licensure:
* Is it possible to become licensed as a nurse if you have a criminal history?
* Is it possible to become licensed as a nurse if you have a MIP, DUI, or other related charges?
* What happens if you are charged or convicted of a crime after licensure?
* Can I go to nursing school and/or be licensed if my record has been sealed or expunged?
* Will I be able to go to nursing school with a criminal record?
* What can happen if I receive a MIP/DUI/DWI or other charge while still in school?
These are questions that the members of allnurses.com cannot answer. The only reliable source of information is your State Board of Nursing.
Please refer to this thread for other information:
Nursing Licensure With A Criminal History
Also to add if he is mental health trained may have issues on not having enough hours to meet US BON requirements as training needs to be general. Check out the UK forum as much written on this