Bergen CC Fall 2013 Program - page 13
by PCTJon | 16,819 Views | 140 Comments
Hey guys, I saw that there was no post for our group so I decided to create on. How is everyone doing with their Hesi? Also, is someone who is accepted into their program declines admission, do they open up a spot for someone... Read More
- 0PCTJon do not wait. The nursing department expects everything to be done and ready to go. I believe it states in the new handbook all paperwork (CPR malpractice, health forms, copy of personal health insurance) be in a one week prior to starting classes. So this Friday everything should be in! Don't wait- not worth it. If you are delaying getting health insurance for a reason- I would call the nursing department or go speak with them and get written permission to wait on getting it. They will and they have asked students to get up and leave lectures and skills lab practice due to not having the requirements in. I saw it happen in my class- do not wait on anything is my suggestion.
- 0Although the nursing field has done away with the tri color pen red blue green black in terms of charting a.m p.m care I personally liked having the tri color pen for when I got my pt chart I could immediately underline and circle things that were critical in red like isolation status, allergies, pt dnr status, poa, dr, in blue do my vitals and notes in green do any meds I needed to administer in black my charge nurse name, and for my own reference military time was hard so I had a clip board I bought with me each time on the clipboard i printed and taped a military clock, 7 standard protocols, med cart Pyxis code, code colors and what they meant and also the 6 rights of med admin and 3 checks. Normal vitals, I also carried a print out of normal lab ranges clipped onto my clipboard with blank paper to write any notes I needed or would need to do care planning later any hand off reports I listened in on. Or other info that was vital to pt care but was unnecessary to write on the chart always have blank paper- it's helpful if you have to for instance chart vitals every 15min for the next 3 hours as I did in military time for a doctor who ordered that to be done on my pt who I administered chemo to
- 0Penlights times like 3 you can buy three in a pack online they die run out of battery like crazy you may want to also get a under armor type long sleeve to put under your short sleeve top. Sometimes it was too much to have a jacket on in terms of worrying about contaminating my sterile field or just baggy and in the way but we did get cold so a solid long sleeve plain white shirt under your top definitely helps
- 0Sorry, I also bought the pocket assessment guide it was a spiral bound and tells you all the procedures so if I had to do a blood glucose accucheck I was able to quickly flip to that section and look up all necessary equipment, prior assessment needed, nursing interventions, or for instance a injection site I could flip to med admin IM, subcut, iv and see the necessary steps bc the nurses on the floor your charge nurse or your instructor may not have the time to explain it or ask you what you are doing to do so it came in handy I stopped carrying it after a few
Weeks into clinical bc it was all stuff I knew by then we also started classes in Jan and did not enter clinicals until the second week in March so I'm not sure about the fall schedule since in level 2 we begin outside clinicals immediately the first week
- 0Aug 31, '13 by LMTKI bought three main textbooks for each class.
Carolyn Jarvis "Physical Examination & Health Assessment 6th Edition."
Kee MS, RN, Joyce LeFever "Pharmacology; A Nursing Process Approach 7th e"
Wilkinson, Judith M. "Fundamentals of Nursing"
These are all I can afford now after purchasing other equipment plus overpriced health insurance. Well, let the pain and glory begin!!
Anyway, for those of you in section 003, since I'm type I diabetic, you're more than welcome to practice how to check the blood sugar or inject insulin shot on me, if we are allowed to do that.
- 1Sep 24, '13 by kaitlynelisabethPlease use the library resources! You can go to library website for Bergen and click a-z look for "StatRef" there are most of the books, textbooks, lab dx manuals, care planing books and all different nclex exam questions online! You don't even need to be at school! Our level just found this out two days ago! It's awesome! I hope you are all flourishing and loving level one. I'm always here if you have any questions!!