EMU 2nd bachelor's 2011?
- 0Mar 4, '11 by MICHRNTOBHi,
Just wondered if anyone else out there was applying to this program? Also does anyone know how many people applied last year and how many were accepted?
- 0Mar 10, '11 by MelBell2005I applied for fall of 2009 for the accelerated BSN program and I got on the alternate list. There was only a couple of us who didn't get off the last . I think they only took 32 students and there were only 65 applicants that year, however, the director of the program said that was unusual to have so little applicants. I believe from someone I know who is in the Accelerated BSN program said the last year had a lot more applicants. Have you been to an information session yet? I haven't been for a couple of years. I know you have to take the TEAS and there is a point system that you can find on the website. You also get points for healthcare experience and classes taken at EMU. The nursing web page on EMU lists some of the details.
- 0Mar 11, '11 by MICHRNTOBHi MelBell,
I did attend the info session last year and I am almost done w/last prereq. I took them all at EMU and will likely have a 3.8 GPA. I am going to take the TEAS in a few weeks. I was just wondering what happened last with last year's admission.
Do you mind telling me what your stats were? You said you made the waiting list. How many people from the list were eventually accepted? Did you get into a nursing program?
Thanks for any info you can give me.
- 0Mar 12, '11 by MelBell2005Hi! I don't know anything about fall of 2010 admitted class. All I know is there were a lot of applicants last year from what my friend told me. I was told there were like 10 people on the waitlist and about 2 of us didn't get in for 2009. We even got so far as to filling out the paper work to start the program if we did get off the alternate list is what EMU called it. My pre-requesite GPA is probably what hurt my chances of getting in, but I worked as a nursing assistant for a couple of years so I got points for that. Your pre-requisite GPA sounds good, but schools are so competitive these days and with the extra points you can get now, you just never know who will get in. I wish you lots of luck in your pursue to get into a nursing program!
- 0Apr 7, '11 by MelBell2005I was searching EMU's web site and I found the nursing admission BSN criteria for 2007 and it showed what you can get points for, however, it didn't state what points you get for the 8 pre-req GPA. It only stated the points for the A&P and Chem gpa. Does anyone know if your pre-req GPA is included in the points for admission? Its been a few years since I have been to a nursing information session at EMU.
- 0Apr 7, '11 by MICHRNTOBIt doesn't specifically say that you get points for the other pre-reqs. The way it's written (2010 packet) says that you must get an average of 3.0 on all 8 prereqs. As you know, A & P I/II and Chem 120 get you extra points IF you take them at EMU. You also get points for these class based on your GPA, but I don't think the Gen Ed has any sliding GPA scoring -- just a 3.0 threshold.
I did hear someone say that you get a few points for the other prereqs if you take them at EMU. I asked an advisor if it was worth retaking some Gen Ed classes just for the pts. She said no. I haven't heard of anybody doing this and it seems like it'd be a big gamble for lots of extra $.
Also - did you see that the TEAS criteria has changed for version V.
I am applying in May so I will update on how it goes. Are you thinking of applying this year? If so, good luck!
- 0Apr 7, '11 by MelBell2005Thanks for that information! I am not sure if I am going to apply or not. I could, but I don't think I will have enough extra points even with the healthcare experience and the teas points. I am counting a B in Anatomy and since they average the scores for re-takes it doesn't help that much if I did retake it, but other than that my other science grades are good. Do you also get points for a foreign language, for example it said on the older version you could get 5 pts for 2 semesters of spanish? Also, I wonder how many points you need to have a chance of getting into the program.