For some the issue may well be race related. But racial implications aside, Coppin has, historically, among he lowest first-time NCLEX pass rates in the state. According to the Maryland Board of Nursing website, other four-year state-funded nursing scholl average a pass rate 5-10 percentage points higher. [ADN programs do 10-20% better - for half the tuitition!]
This is factoring only students who graduate
. Take into account that historically black colleges in Maryland have a lower graduation rate than their better-integrated sister schools and the start-to-finish numbers would look worse. A freshman entering Coppin has, on average, only a one in five (20-21%) chance of leaving any University System of Maryland School with a degree within six years. Even factoring race, that's pretty bad. The typical black freshman entering UMBC has a 40% chance of graduating from that institution, and a 60% chance of leaving another with a degree in the same six years. These numbers are from a study commisioned by the USM.
Taken together the numbers add up. In my nursing program
, the first day of school you looked to your left and looked to your right - those people wouldn't be there at graduation. If 100 freshmen enter the nursing program at Coppin, 20 will graduate and take the test. 12-15 will pass and become nurses. If there were ten rows of seats in that freshman class, you might have a coworker who sat in your row
, but probably not.
Look, where you go is your decision. But considering the sacrifice that many make to go the nursing school, and taking into account that you might only get one shot at this, my advice is give yourself the best chance. Numbers can lie, but they can only tell small lies. If someone is telling you that this school is your best bet -they're probably not telling you a small one.
RN, CFRN, EMT-P
Writing from the Ninth Circle