Preceptorship? Help Please!
- 0Apr 16, '13 by pnkgirl25In our third term we are allowed to pick our own preceptor if we choose to not use the schools clinical site and preceptor. I discovered in our last clinical rotations that I have a strong passion for wound care. Our clinical site for 3rd term sucks so I really would rather not use their site. Any suggestions on how I should approach facilities requesting a preceptorship? Is it one of those things were I should send a e-mail or hard copy letter directly to HR with a cover letter, resume and letters of recommendation? Should I pickup the phone and call...just show up?
I have 3 months to secure something or I'll be stuck. Please help. Any advice at all would be great.
- 0Apr 17, '13 by Mac7421Where I went it was mandatory we used their facility, not 100% sure what to say. My only advice is; because you are allowed to precept at other places, where have previous students there precept? Does your school have a list of places they have worked in conjunction with before (who would even be willing to allow a student there)? So my say is, ask your school those questions and see if you can find a past student who used a separate facility (the more recent the better) to ask them as well. Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for
- 0Apr 17, '13 by pnkgirl25That's the thing, only a hand full of people have actually done it and the ones what have done it have done it where they are already working. Ie. CNA gets an LVN at their LTC facility to do it. I'm looking for something more along the lines of the area I want to one day work in. Doing it in LTC would be a total drag...I HATE med pass...
So no, the school does not have a list...other then the two sites they already have...which I am trying to avoid lol
- 0Apr 17, '13 by jloganAt my school we aren't allowed to do our preceptorship where we work. We have went to several different places during our clinicals and we were told that if we liked a certain clinical place that we should ask someone there if we could do our preceptorship there; if not we can call around or walk in and ask to speak to someone about doing our preceptorship. If you have somewhere in mind I would call and ask or maybe go in and talk to some of the nurses who work there and get their input. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
- 0Sep 17, '13 by pnkgirl25Yeah I ended up finding a place with a local wound care clinic....3 weeks before my term started. It was too late to get everything approved, I guess it had to be approved through the BON so I had to pass it up and go with our schools clinical site. While I wish I was able to do my last term at the wound clinic out clinical site was actually not that bad.