SNAP program at University of Kentucky Hosp. or SPICEE at Central Baptist
- 0Jan 16, '11 by ky_grl82Hi all! I may have posted this before but can't seem to find the thread if I did. I was wondering if anyone has done the senior practicum at either UK or Central Baptist. I haven't found anyone in the class ahead of me that has and I was wondering what it is like and if you felt you learned a lot. Also, if you were accepted in these programs, were you offered a job right away after graduation? I am so scared of not finding a job. I will have to look else where if no job offers comes soon after graduation.
I have already applied to UK and have moved up along the chain of being considered for the program! I am going to go ahead and apply for CB in case UK turns me down.Last edit by ky_grl82 on Jan 16, '11
- 4,693 Visits
- 0Jan 16, '11 by ky_grl82Quote from sophie<3At my last day of clinicals (at CBH) we had a meet and greet with a few of the big-wigs of nursing over CBH. It answered a lot of questions. Have you got all the "how to apply" info for SPICEE? If not, I can help you out.i didnt apply for UK but I am applying for SPICEE...kind of wondering the same thing you are as I haven't heard much about either program
I know a lot of my classmates are applying for the SPICEE program since there is no GPA requirement. Most of them got C's so it kicked them out of the running of UK's program.
- 0Jan 18, '11 by sophie<3Quote from ky_grl82I applied on CB's website and they mailed me a packet..what are the requirements and necessary documentation for SPICEE? I know they sent me 2 forms for clinical instructor recommendations and that we fill out the survey for CB. But does CB's program allow you to choose your area to do that externship at? I know UK's packet had your top choices for what unit to work on.. so I was just wondering if SPICEE gave that option too? Or would that be addressed in the interview? Any information at all that I didn't touch on would be really appreciated! You can PM me if you want Thanks so much!At my last day of clinicals (at CBH) we had a meet and greet with a few of the big-wigs of nursing over CBH. It answered a lot of questions. Have you got all the "how to apply" info for SPICEE? If not, I can help you out.
- 1Jan 22, '11 by soniayakI did SNAP on the OB floor and LOVED it. I learned a ton. I'm finishing up this semester, but am quite sure I'll get a job at UK. I stayed on after my SNAP and now work as a Tech, and my manager is very aware I'd like to stay on when I graduate. It's a fabulous program- you should definitely do it!
- 0Jan 25, '11 by ky_grl82@sophie- It sounded like you could give your top three preferences and they would try to match you as best they could.. no peds, and possibly no OB (I am not 100%) though. I really love OR-type stuff (PACU specifically) and they said that it is available if I am picked. I can't remember anything else specifically.
@sonia- I am doing OB now. Not my fave --- too many hormones! lol Glad there are tons who love it though. Thank you so much for the info. I am so hoping I get in @ UK!!! Let me know how it turns out for you!
- 0Feb 13, '11 by ky_grl82Quote from gnwithewndWhat I understood is that you have 1 "preceptor" and you work with his/her schedule, no matter what. I am pretty sure most RNs have to rotate shifts on weekends so I would say yes you should plan to work a few weekends at least. I really wanted to take my last required gen ed (on campus only) class for nursing this summer but that won't happen if I get accepted into either program. It will be online classes only for me!I have applied for Spicee program too. Does anyone know how "available" you have to be for this program. I understand that you can't take other classes, but do they require weekend shifts? Thanks for any information!