UK RN looking to apply for licence in the US (California)

  1. Hi all,

    I posted a couple years back regarding my eventual move to California. Quick update - My husband (a USC) and I got married back in August 31st 2012 after i finished my Bsc Adult Nursing qualification here in the UK. I am currently working as an RN in a hospital in the UK.
    My husband has just sent off the petition for an immigrant visa for me (to finally close the distance! - been 4 years now long distance : ( )

    So now starts my quest to be qualified as an RN in the US. I wanted to apply for ATT in CA BON but it requires a SSN which i obviously won't ave until i move to the states. I used the search option on here and i read that you can apply for the NCLEX in a different state. I know that i will need to make up theory and practical hours (thanks to people who replied to my previous posts) and i basically want to be able to start searching for colleges now before i move and i wont know where to look until i know what i am missing from my UK qualification.

    Can anyone advise me on what i can do? Is there a post anywhere on a step by step process? Thanks in advance.
  2. Visit chibifelicia profile page

    About chibifelicia

    Joined: Nov '10; Posts: 5


  3. by   Silverdragon102
    Suggestion would be getting a report like CES done to see what you are short on but from what several posters have been posting I think biggest issue is finding somewhere where you can make these hours up in the US. There are not courses in the UK to make up hours.

    Remember it is licensing as a RN that you are applying for and NCLEX is just a part of that application
  4. by   perioddrama
    As for the schools, there are no schools that have official programs that will allow one to solely make up the missing hours yet. Most schools are requiring interested applicants to re-take the whole nursing program.

    Schools need to get board approval, find funding, find instructors, find clinical sites, etc. etc. before they can open a legitimate program.

    Also note, if you get denied in CA (hoping you don't, but in case you do), do not waste money and apply to another state and then try to endorse other state's license back to CA license. CA will always base whether or not to approve or decline an application based on the education of the applicant.

    There is a thread that lists the current states that have concurrent issues. Bookmark it.

    Lastly, where do you want to live and work in the long run? Apply there.

    Good luck!