How did you become a nurse practionier?Register Today!
- by BritishStudent Jan 26, '03Im currious, is anybody here one? and how did you become one? Lets all sit around while the adults explain it to us, please?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=29966©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 3,763 Views
- Jan 26, '03 by karenGone day I will slap you for cheek!!
I am a nurse practitioner. trained as a SRN back in the dark ages, did my midwifery, then my ophthalmic training. worked at Moorfields for a while then went into general practice- that was a culture shock! after loads of courses, decided to be a NP. a three year degree course (now can do a masters) at what was the institude of advanced nursing at the RCN(its now at South Bank uni). so did an honours degree to call myself a np. next stop is a masters in ethics and law! if you want to know more about what a np does- visit the nurse practitioner web site, think its NPUK- youll find it! or ask more questions.........
and one day, when you grow up, you too could be a np!!
- Jan 26, '03 by BritishStudentbut the nurse practitioner and nurse consultant are two of my heros! So what are you a np in? Opthamology? presumably a PCG/PCT (they seem to make the most use of NP's)
- Jan 26, '03 by tony summersI am an emergency nurse practitioner, spent all my time since qualifying in A&E and undertook the 199 did my BSc in nursing. Finally did a ENP course and then learnt on the job. Now see and treat patients with out refering to doctor, i can refer to virtually all specialities, request and act on tests that i request, interpret my own xrays and prescribe many different medications.
So it is nice long journey to the heady hieghts of NP
- Jan 27, '03 by karenGI am a NP in primary care- so jill of all trades. I see same day patients with anything- from a splinter to suspected Ca. I have referral powers to consultants- though the sho's can be snotty- tried to refer a lady last week with suspected perforated bowel and the SHO wouldnt take her- had to get my gp involved! cant order x-rays- just get the gp's to sign them. I can order all other tests and act on the results. I also run chronic disease clinics- asthma mainly. so its a busy life!!