For Company nurses and nurses who wanted to be oneRegister Today!
- by Ar-en Sep 30, '11Hi I m a newly registered nurse. Can anyone here tell stories about their career as a company nurse. Im really intrested on how to become one and to know your different experience that made you become one plus you everyday task thank you
- Oct 4, '11 by purplechicxiiiHi! =)
Being a company nurse was my first job way back 2009. Aside from providing with basic nursing procedures i.e routinary blood pressure taking, providing oral meds for common ailments like fever, diarrhea, headache and the like, company nurses can also assist the company physician (if your company does have one, as in my case, we do have a company physician who comes for certain days in a week). As much as you are tasked to do weekly/monthly inventory of your medicines in stock, medical supplies in stock. You also have to do monthly reports for all the employees you have seen/treated/referred to specialists. You also have to provide a weekly/monthly health awareness programs to each department of your company.
Personally, I can say it's fun but it will tire or bore you out as well, since most of the time, you do clerical work. But if you want to have head start for your nursing career and cannot land an actual hospital job, being a company nurse is a good choice rather than boring yourself to death at home or applying for other non-nursing jobs.
Good luck in your jub hunting and congrats for passing the recent nursing boards!
- Oct 12, '11 by Ar-enWow thank you for replying and for your infos! Im really psyched someone replied HAHA, highly appreciate it! :>. Was it hard for you to land your job as a company nurse?, did you have to take acls? or bls and first aid training will do?. I guess you didn't had any experience yet when you applied for the job, since it was you first, or Did you?(like did you had any trainings). Some say that i have to be part or train at Occupational nurse association?(did I got that right? Gosh I forgot the association) thank you very much! Sorry if I have A LOT of questions
- Dec 9, '11 by purplechicxiiiSorry for the late reply. Been super busy.
Anyway, regarding your questions. Before I landed that job, I already had BLS, SFA and IVT trainings. Well they're not a prerequisite on that company but I think that gave me an edge over other applicants who haven't gone any trainings. But as for now, I think companies are already stricter. They want their company nurses to have BLS, ACLS and other trainings, also that Occupational Training you were saying.
- Dec 13, '11 by Cynicahi i'm also interested to be a company nurse. when it comes to interview, what are the possible interview questions? Because if applying as a nurse in a hospital, they ask about questions in the area you want to be assigned (as what I've read in posts in other threads when applying as nurse in hosp).
I'm searching for companies who would hire a newly grad as a company nurse without the said training from OHNAP. Do you guys have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for replies