Joliet and JJC former and current studentsRegister Today!
- by KarmaInMotion May 12, '08Hello! New member and also recently accepted into the fall JJC program (yay!)... So now that I have a summer off before I become submerged in student nurse life, I have been trying to find all the info I can possibly get! I did a search and found only a few posts related to JJC, so I thought I'd try to seek out some more info. and possibly some reciprocal support:wink2:.
Supplies: Does anybody have any input on tech. stuff? I keep reading about PDAs and Laptops being lifelines. Are they used by many, or not looked well uppon in the class? Has anyone had any experience at JJCs nursing program in regards to the usage of these tech tools, & any pros and cons? What about usage of PDAs during clinicals (Any input on St Joes versus Silver Cross' policies)? What about the textbooks and supplies? Have students hunted down deals or broken down and just gone to the bookstore?
Beyond ADN: Are there any current or former students that have or are in the middle of using one of those cooperative/bridge type programs for getting your BSN? What are or have your experiences been like? Oh, esp. mom experiences.
Any and all other tips, suggestions, guidance, YOU NAME IT is greatly accepted! Thanks from an anticipating anxious one!
- May 17, '08 by TracyB,RNGood luck at JUCO.... Graduated from there many years ago, great program.
I used a PDA for calculations & stuff... had some quizzes I had downloaded.
Back then, Joes & Silver didn't have any policies on PDA's. Things changed, as do policies.
As far as books, I always bought new. I wanted the marks in the book to be my own (highlighting, notes in margins, that kind of thing)... I finally got rid of my books about 1 year ago.
Not much else to add, except good luck!
- Jul 31, '08 by EdeHI, I was recently accepted to JJC nursing program too. I will start August 25th night classes. How about you, day or night?
- Jul 31, '08 by EdeHi, I am starting nursing at JJC August 25th, night classes. How about you?
- Aug 1, '08 by KarmaInMotionHi Ede! Looks like we're in the same boat. I'm on the night class sched. too. Feel free to send me a PM if you wanna discuss anything, trade emails or whatever.
- Aug 1, '08 by EdeHi KarmaInMotion
nice to hear from you. We might even be in the same class, that would be cool. I registered with allnurses in 2006 but I never used it, so I am very new how it works in replying and stuff. Sure, I'd love to exchange e-mails, but is it OK to post my e-mail the way I post this message?
- Aug 1, '08 by KarmaInMotionHeya Ede. Just click on my name in a post and it'll give you an option to email me. I have been on here like crazy since I found the site. It is just such a great source for info. And yeah, I think it would be so nice to find someonein the same class to talk to before class starts about our shared anxieties and concerns.
- Aug 2, '08 by EdeHI again, you pm'ed me saying they don't give too many to use. What did you mean by that?
- Aug 4, '08 by verytallnurseHello JJC students!
Hope you are enjoying your summer, visit your friends and families NOW since crazy life is about to start! I graduated in '06 but still remember the stress. Soo.. who are your teachers ? I am so glad they opened the night classes, it will be easier for some students with families.
I bought the PDA when I was in 4th semester and yes, we can use it - but there was no time to sit around and look for things in it. It was easier to pull out the book in the unit or backpack and look it up since that kind of stuff you can use in your process papers and you can show the text to teacher since she uses the SAME book. But if you use your PDA on daily basis - then you might be fine. Especialy if you have a drug book '08 in it or to look up some unknown to you disease in patient's history. So that's totally up to you! One thing I know - basic computer and good PRINTER is a must! No one ever brought laptop in a class - you will NOT be a popular student... Same thing for your PDA use during the lecture unless there is some group game you are doing.. or looking things up for a class. Use basic programs when doing papers - trust me: there will time when your printer is not doing anything and papers are due in 1 hour.. You will put it on the CD and will try to print it in JJC or teacher will try to open in her computer.. but if your program is not the program their computer can open - you will look like a jerk who is trying to buy more time... Oh gosh.. I could come up with so many tips.. it would't fit in here :chuckle . But one more: learn very very well how use the pill crusher(till it is ALL powder!)..even it is going to take you 10 min to do it.. Oh, I'll stop now before you all kick me out of here.. Please, ask anything that comes into your anxiuos head - it is my pleasure to give you as many tips as possible to make you student life little easier. Because I remember those thoughts in my head and I wished somone told me before the class started.. So Good Luck! I will keep in touch!