Inspector/surveyor wants to observe me!!Register Today!
- by LVNtoBSN May 8I'm a home health nurse in Texas. I've been doing home health for a few years. I was just told the surveyor is at the agency and wants to interview a nurse (the agency choose me) and visit two of my patients. The patients are mostly teaching patients and do not receive any skilled services at this time(drains, vacs, IV's dialysis etc). What am I to expect in the interview and the inspector observing my visit??
Heres what I usually do:
I go to patients home usually have some type of conversation with them before I start their visit.
Do a partial head to toe asking questions about different body systems specific to patients disease process. (urination, bowel pattern, dietary intake etc)
Assess medications (advise of refills, soon to expire medications, ask about different meds if patient understands why they are taking it, and assess compliance)
Of course measure b/p, glucose temp, weight
Answer any questions (monitor exacerbation's of known disease processes) and keep track of physician visits
Some other details
I was told this is the department of disability and aging.
I don't know much about specific home health policies and procedures
Please offer a word of advice
- 1,726 Views
- May 8 by LVNtoBSNThank you so much for responding! What exactly is bag technique
- May 9 by LVNtoBSNLet me rephrase I didn't mean to sound so vague. I know what bag technique is just want to make sure I have all the steps. Drape between your items and patients furniture, clean and sanitize all supplies before going back into the bag. Maintaining a clean field. What am I missing
- May 9 by jmn126Make sure. U clean ur hands before going into your bag,when u take ur items out of your bag place them on the clean side of ur barrier when done place the, on the opposite side, so put ur bag in the middle of ur barrier, one side clean one side dirty. Clean your hands in between glove changes.
- May 9 by jmn126They r also looking to see if every med is on the list, so if ur pt is taking it write it on their list, creams powders etc. remember to include OTC like vitamins. MOM
I have been put with many auditors so i know how u feel.
Also ,ake sure u are wearing your ID badge
- May 9 by dakotadeniseI have had them ride along with me also. They asked the patient if they were told who they could call if they
had a complaint against us (giving this info is required in our state/agency) Luckily, we give out a folder on every
admission with this info printed on front.
- May 24 by LVNtoBSNWOW every single detail you all mentioned she observed me for. She said the only thing I did wrong was after I used the b/p machine, I reached inside the bag to get a sanitizing wipe to clean it before returning it. Instead the sanitizing wipes should have been out side the bag! So since she was that particular i'll say I must not have done too bad.
- Jun 19 by Mommy_2_2So, I'm very nervous, we just got word that inspectors/surveyors are in town and I'm dreading that they'll pick me to do a ride along :/ I've only worked HH for 6 months and still feel like I have tons to learn so I don't feel prepared to go out with a surveyor! Aaaahhh I'm freaking out!