Air Force Nursing 2013Register Today!
- by JillyRN Oct 26, '12Hi everyone,
I just recently started the process to apply to be an Air Force nurse. I'm trying to complete my packet for the January 2013 (Feb 19-Board, Mar 08-Decision). Anyone else currently starting or in the process? Any advice with gathering my information?
Any current Air Force Nurses that could give me insight about their experience, especially regarding their first assignment?
My husband is about to separate from the Army and we are used to that way of thinking and doing things (i.e. lots of misleading information, less family oriented, less options regarding career). My recruiter had mentioned that everyone goes into a general clinical nurse slot, but is given the opportunity to specialize into a department of their choice after one year. My initial response was "Yeah... riiighhhttt." I don't actually believe that I would be given such a choice so soon, but I'm not sure if that is only because of our experience with the Army. Can anyone enlighten me??
I am also in the process of applying for the January boards.You can apply for a specialty if you have experience as I am applying forER/Trauma nurse program. Like you, I am also more used to the Army side of theDoD house J. I think and hope that I am all or almost all done with my paperworkat this point and only need to get the chief nurse interview done. The biggestconcern is to get medical cleared, but it looks like all is going okay. Had myphysical 3 weeks ago, we will see if I need to get a waiver. I was told Fridayby my recruiter that there are only a total of 8 ER Nurses slots for the 2013year and that already 14 had applied for these at the Nov boards. But that theyhold some for the next boards, hope I am competitive enough. I am currently in Germany (as a civilian RNwith the USA) which makes it more difficult to get things done like MEPS or theChief Nurse Interview. My resume is very specific for the ED.
Members started a threat few months ago for the Army boardsand shared information and background info’s. Maybe we can do the same. Like youI am applying for the Jan/Feb boards. I have a total of 5 almost 6 yearsnursing experiences in the ER, Cathlab/IR, and now primary care. 11 years ofEMS experience as a Paramedic and 10 as a cardiac arrhythmia tech (same time periodas the medic). I have only an ADN with a GPA of 3.75, BS in Healthcare ManagementGPA 4.0 and will be done with an MSN with emphasis in public health(currentlyGPA 4.0, have 2.5 classes left) and the normal certs like ACLS,PALS, TNCC...oh, I am old ..39y/o female
How about you and others? Please share your information!
Last edit by BVFD 333 on Oct 28, '12 : Reason: added more info
- Just wanted to share this link which I thought is very informative (from March 2012)
- Here is a link which I thought was very informative, hope it answers some of your questions.
sorry, not sure how to delete this repeat message
- Oct 28, '12 by JillyRNNice to meet you BVFD! Glad to hear you are almost through the process. It sounds as though you should be really competitive for selection. I'll be applying for a general nurse spot since I don't have enough experience in a specialty. I completed my ADN in 2010 with a 3.7 GPA. I've worked in Primary Care, Ob/Gyn, Corrections, and now in a college campus clinic doing more community health type nursing. I finished my BSN in September with a 3.7 GPA. I'm 24 years old, married to active duty army (who will be getting out in the next couple months). No children. No medical issues. I will be doing my physical sometime in the next couple weeks. I had been thinking about joining the Nurse Corps for the past few years, but I'm starting the process kind of late to get in for January. It looks like it'll be a scramble for me, but I'm so excited for the opportunity! Please keep me posted on your progress, Good luck!!
- Oct 30, '12 by BVFD 333Same for you! Hope others share their information and experiences
Jilly RN did you see the last post from the threat AF boards 2012?
- Oct 30, '12 by JillyRNI just saw that. Kind of discouraging. Have you heard any estimates for numbers, i.e. how many spots for FY2013?
- Oct 30, '12 by BVFD 333No, he just said that the board keeps spots open for the following boards. I will E mail him right now and see what he says. I will let you know what I find out!
- Oct 31, '12 by BVFD 333This is per my recruiters answer for the 3 areas I am eligible to apply for.
FY 13 Requirements for the USAF
Clinical Nurse is 80
Critical Care is 20
Ed/Trauma is 14
I did just find out that I am for right now medical disqualified, pending waiver process. We will see...
- Oct 31, '12 by kdazzlehey BVFD 333,
nice to meet you, and everyone else on this thread. I have been going through this process for a year now. I originally had applied for the med/surg boards this past february but hadnt finished my bsn yet. I had just finished my bsn this past august. my recruiter said that since there were only 20 slots at that time left then they were probably wanting people that were already done with school and ready to roll. so I have already done my meps and my chief nurse interview. now, I recently last month had submitted my packet out for this coming board selection for november but my recruiter just called me two days ago and said that there had been so many packets submitted and they just couldnt take no more and a bunch got sent back and guess what- one of them was mine!!! so, now i have wait and submit it to the january boards. with that being said, my CN interview expires in december so I have to do it again. i'm not sure if its gonna be with the same person or not. for those of you who have not done the CN interview or meps- I can be a help with what to expect. I was told from my recruiter that the november boards have 80 slots but i'm not sure for january though. he is getting ready to leave for a 6 week training in florida so i will have to deal with a his boss in the mean time. what made you not medical qualified at meps if you dont mind me asking? talk to you soon.