OMG!!! I almost had a heart attack in microbiology lab today. My professor paired me up with someone in the class that is having a rough time in lab, he just can't get the method down for taking specimin samples and applying it to slides. Anywho, my professor thought I could help him out. So, I went through the whole process of getting the specimin from the vile and showed him how to "cook" it on the slide, stain it, ect., then I said, "okay, now you try".
Well, right away I could see we were heading for trouble. The poor man, he's trying real hard, but he's so nervous handling the bacteria. So, within seconds, he opened the vile of staphylococcus bacteria and
he drops it. Active staphylococcus bacteria everywhere.
Nothing got on me or my books but his books (which I had told him repeatedly should not be up on the lab table), himself and the table were covered. :uhoh21: What a mess!!! My professor wasn't too happy about it. I didn't get into trouble, but, I felt bad for my classmate. The professor really gave it to him. It was truly an accident. But, thankfully, we both had on our protective gear and we got it all cleaned up, so, no harm done. Well, as least for me, I didn't get any on me, I hope my classmate doesn't come down with anything. But, we had a crash course in lab emergencies. What a disaster!!! So, next week, I get to teach this classmate again, except this time, with just plain water. I think that's the smarter route. Just thought I'd share. Who else has some good lab stories??