Oklahoma Students

  1. I went and talked with the couselor yesterday and found out if I get a Liberal Studies associates degree from Rose then I can skip the foreign language reqs for the BSN degree- I am sooo happy cause those classes are 5 credit hours EACH.

    Cynthiann I turned in my tuition fee waver and asked her about that. She said they start with the 4.0 students and work there way down until they run out of money. I sure hope I get one, I think my GPA is only 3.5 or around there. She said I would hear back about it around June or so. Good luck to you as well with getting one!

    For this summer she advised me to take the pre-chemistry class and Nutrition. So I will be enrolling for those the first day enrollment starts online. She said to enroll as soon as you can cause some of the classes fill up really fast. So I dont have to many more classes to take before I can apply to OU. I am supposed to talk to the OU lady next month about transfering over there and see what all else I need to take (I guess about 3 more semesters).

    So how are you all doing? I did not study at all during spring break....lol I should have but I just couldn't motivate myself.

    I have 3 tests coming up tomorrow and next week so I need to go study.

    Marilyn
    •  
  2. 29 Comments

  3. by   Rootbear76
    I didn't study over spring break either.

    I'm still trying to decide what to take this summer. I'm thinking of taking American Federal goverment and Nutrition. Or Chemistry and Intermidate Algebra. I really don't want to take any classes on campus this summer though. I don't want to commute...lol.

    Pre-chemistry should be great, at least you'll have a heads up on what to expect.

    I plan on enrolling the first day also. I don't want to waste any time.

    Does anyone know what the pass rate is at Rose State for the RN program? I can never get in touch with Rebecca Ray to find out!

    Marilyn how's the anatomy class coming along? Please don't say it's hard...lol. I'm kinda looking forward to that one in the fall. You and Cynthiann are SOOO LUCKY to go full time. I wish I could. I'd quit if I could find a good part-time job with benefits and decent pay. Oh well.

    That liberal studies degree is cool! That will definetly save time! I'm sure you will love OU ! I definetly want my BSN from there.

    I'm glad all is well! Keep in touch!

    v
  4. by   marilynmom
    Actually I am finding my Anatomy class to be fairly easy. I really am enjoying it and getting a lot out of it. I dont find it that hard at all. Lots to learn but its fun too which makes a difference.

    Ya she said that I could take Intro to Chem class *instead* of intermediate algebra. To take College level chemistry as you know you have to have intermediate algebra OR Intro to Chem. She said its better and they recommend that students take the Intro to Chem rather than Intermediate algebra. But I think its more what you feel most comfortable with. I dont *think* the BSN degree from OU requires college level math?

    Im taking Nutrition online and then Intro to Chem at campus though I am NOT looking forward to being up there every night!!! lol But I want to get it out of the way so I can take Chemistry next semester. She said Chemistry is a killer class

    I dont know wjat the pass rate is either. I can never get ahold of anyone up there with questions I have. I guess you could go talk to a couselor in the student servies building, they should know I would imagine.

    Marilyn
  5. by   Cynthiann
    Just like the two of you, I didn't really do much studying during break. I probably won't be here to much since we only have just over a month of school left.

    Marilyn, I'll let you know as soon as I get a response about the tuition waiver scholarship. What I'm more anxious about is knowing if I'm going to get into nursing school. I think they notify those accepted in the beginning of May. The hardest part is just waiting.

    For the summer I think I'm going to take a break from studying and just take a couple of PE classes.
  6. by   Rootbear76
    Originally posted by marilynmom
    Actually I am finding my Anatomy class to be fairly easy. I really am enjoying it and getting a lot out of it. I dont find it that hard at all. Lots to learn but its fun too which makes a difference.

    Ya she said that I could take Intro to Chem class *instead* of intermediate algebra. To take College level chemistry as you know you have to have intermediate algebra OR Intro to Chem. She said its better and they recommend that students take the Intro to Chem rather than Intermediate algebra. But I think its more what you feel most comfortable with. I dont *think* the BSN degree from OU requires college level math?

    Im taking Nutrition online and then Intro to Chem at campus though I am NOT looking forward to being up there every night!!! lol But I want to get it out of the way so I can take Chemistry next semester. She said Chemistry is a killer class

    I dont know wjat the pass rate is either. I can never get ahold of anyone up there with questions I have. I guess you could go talk to a couselor in the student servies building, they should know I would imagine.

    Marilyn
    I found out what the pass rate is for Rose State. I FINALLY got to talk to the nurse director, Rebecca Ray. She told me their pass rate had gone down to 78%, but that every school (I don't know if that's true) had a decrease in their pass rate. She said the class that JUST graduated had a 90% pass rate. I know OSU-OKC's pass rate is 92%.

    She asked did I want to set up a meeting with her to map out a plan, so I'll be meeting with her Thursday at 4:00p.m. This should be interesting.


    I don't know if you all read Oklahoma City's Nursing Times ( I get them at the Neighboorhood Wal-Mart in Edmond), but they have really good articles. This week they are talking about the increase of enrollment to OU school of nursing. They said for the first time in 4 or 5 years they will have to implement a waiting list! That says *alot* about the interest in nursing, and the schools program. I bet they have an awesome program!

    Cynthiann,

    I'm wishing you the best! I bet you'll be accepted! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.


    v
  7. by   marilynmom
    Oh wow I'm glad you were able to find out the pass rate at Rose. I would imagine that at any school, some years they will have a low pass rate and other years a higher one. I think probably most of the schools we all have looked at (OSU-OKC, Rose, OU, OCCC, etc) are all good schools and you get what you put into it I think.

    I do pick up Nursing Times mag at Walmart down here as well, I wish there were more nursing things like that to read. I'm almost done with the Critical Care book by Heron as well, I want to read her others as well, it is sooo good. It has got me interested in Critical Care and ER nursing though.

    Yes I can't wait till you hear back from them Cynthiann! I know some other people who applied and they only had 95 points so you are way ahead of them! I bet you have a great chance of getting in! You will have to let us know what its like.

    Marilyn
  8. by   marilynmom
    Originally posted by Just_wondering


    She asked did I want to set up a meeting with her to map out a plan, so I'll be meeting with her Thursday at 4:00p.m. This should be interesting.


    v
    Yes let us know what all you find out!

    Marilyn
  9. by   Vailgang
    Hey Girls,

    I go to school at OKC.CC. I live in Lawton and work full-time so only attend school part-time. I am an LPN so I am doing the step up program. I heard Saturday that they are looking for nurses for the May program so I am going to call on Monday and hopefully I will be able to attend. OKCCC doesn't have a January program like Rose State.

    I only have four classes left. (micro, eng.II, developmental psychology and nutrition) I am finding Anatomy and Physiology II very hard. I thought as an LPN that this would be an easy class but I have to study more than I thought. But then I haven't went to school for years.

    I took spring break off and now need to study for a lecture and lab test for next Saturday. YUCK

    My son attends Rose State. He is not in the medical field---music major.

    I enjoyed reading your posts and just wanted to say hi to you all since we are like neighbors.
    Jill
  10. by   marilynmom
    Hi Jil nice to see fellow Okies!

    I really like Rose state over all. My husband goes to OCCC as well.

    I wonder what the pass rate is at OCCC? Do you happen to know?

    Anyways, keep in touch!

    Marilyn
  11. by   rstewart
    Hi there Oklahoma nursing students:

    I have a few unsolicited pieces of advice after reading some of your more recent posts.

    First with respect to pass rates on the NCLEX....the board of nursing keeps track of pass rates for all programs, so there is no need to have to track someone down at each school for that information. That said, I will tell you that in general Oklahoma nursing students score less than the national average. For the past six years the average nationally is about 85% with a range of about 84-88%. I would be very concerned about any school that scored 78% if that was indeed the case. At the least, I would ask the director their opinion as to why this happened and what measures were taken to fix the problem. Otherwise, the problem may reappear. By the way, the response that "EVERYONES" NCLEX scores dropped is not the correct answer. National scores went up very slightly in 2001 and 2002, not down.

    Keep in mind that NCLEX scores are only HALF of what you are really looking for----the other half is "What percentage of the students who started your program successfully completed the program within 2 years". It does you little good to know that 100% of a school's graduates passed the NCLEX the first time if it turns out that they flunked out a high percentage of their students before they could even take the NCLEX.

    Regarding science prerequisites: For those of you who intend to go on to BSN programs, be very careful of the science and math courses which you take in the 2 year schools. This is particularly true for A&P, chemistry and Algebra. Do NOT just take the word of the 2 year school as to transferability---Go to the school where you intend to complete your BSN with the exact course number you are considering to confirm what you have been told. Otherwise you may find yourself having to take additional courses or even repeating courses. This can get frustrating, time consuming and expensive.

    Re:Liberal Arts degree at Rose I tend not to believe that this will satisfy OU's foreign language requirement. Since 1990 even their RN to BSN program has required 2 semesters of the same foreign language as part of their general education requirements. I would ask OU in writing if what you were told by Rose was true. The only exceptions I am aware of are using high school foreign language credits or testing out.

    Re Math: For those of you who want their BSN it is VERY likely that you will need to take college math courses. That's because all BSN programs require Statistics which typically requires College Algebra as a prerequisite. If you have a weak math background you may even need a remedial course prior to taking the College Algebra. For those students wanting a BSN I would strongly suggest completing College Algebra before attempting chemistry as well.

    For those who do NOT want the BSN some easier versions of some classes are available----but keep in mind if you ever decide later to go on through most traditional colleges in OKlahoma, you are going to have some work to make up before you even start the nursing BSN completion. The exceptions are some of the expensive private university BSN programs (examp SNU). They tend to accept most coursework for transfer-----but they cost about $11, 000 a year for tuition and fees-----and that's before books etc.
  12. by   marilynmom
    Originally posted by rstewart
    Re:Liberal Arts degree at Rose I tend not to believe that this will satisfy OU's foreign language requirement. Since 1990 even their RN to BSN program has required 2 semesters of the same foreign language as part of their general education requirements. I would ask OU in writing if what you were told by Rose was true. The only exceptions I am aware of are using high school foreign language credits or testing out.

    Re Math: For those of you who want their BSN it is VERY likely that you will need to take college math courses. That's because all BSN programs require Statistics which typically requires College Algebra as a prerequisite. If you have a weak math background you may even need a remedial course prior to taking the College Algebra. For those students wanting a BSN I would strongly suggest completing College Algebra before attempting chemistry as well.

    I did end up emailing OU about the liberal arts degree getting me out of the foreign language req and its not true, the lady at Rose was incorrect. Oh well...lol She just said you have to have all the pre reqs they list and the additional ones if you grad high school after 90 (or 91 or whatever it was).

    OU is really good, we have a lady come to Rose campus every month from the Health Science Center and go over every course before hand that way you know what will and will not trasfer. I go by her and not Rose.

    As far as the Chemistry goes, I am taking Intro to Chem this summer since it has been 10 years since I have had *any* chemistry at all. From what all I have heard its better to take that class before College level Chem (which I have heard is killer big time). I still will be finishing my College Algebra as well. I really enjoy math, Im not bad at it, so I am hoping Chem will not be super hard but I am worried about it quite a bit. I'm not sure who else to talk to about that though.

    Thanks for all your insight , I really appreciate it. I cant belive Rose's pass rate is that low I wonder why? OU was in the 80's at least so I guess that is about average and that is where I plan to go.

    Marilyn
  13. by   rstewart
    As I believe I mentioned in a previous posting, people would be much better off if they just listened to me. lol

    Now do the right thing and go back to that moron at Rose and correct her before her lame advice causes someone major grief a year or two down the line.

    As to the problem at Rose----it could have been one or several things. English as a second language students seem to have particular difficulty with the NCLEX. I'm not familiar with Rose's program. But other things which seem to cause problems are new programs, faculty/curriculum changes, lax admission policies, and small graduation class sizes. But as I said before---the reason that they gave is NOT the answer because scores nationally are going up very slightly he past 2 years, not down. Actually, the score increases are somewhat misleading; three years ago national scores took a dip and so they are just now recovering from that.
  14. by   Rootbear76
    Originally posted by marilynmom
    I did end up emailing OU about the liberal arts degree getting me out of the foreign language req and its not true, the lady at Rose was incorrect. Oh well...lol She just said you have to have all the pre reqs they list and the additional ones if you grad high school after 90 (or 91 or whatever it was).

    OU is really good, we have a lady come to Rose campus every month from the Health Science Center and go over every course before hand that way you know what will and will not trasfer. I go by her and not Rose.

    As far as the Chemistry goes, I am taking Intro to Chem this summer since it has been 10 years since I have had *any* chemistry at all. From what all I have heard its better to take that class before College level Chem (which I have heard is killer big time). I still will be finishing my College Algebra as well. I really enjoy math, Im not bad at it, so I am hoping Chem will not be super hard but I am worried about it quite a bit. I'm not sure who else to talk to about that though.

    Thanks for all your insight , I really appreciate it. I cant belive Rose's pass rate is that low I wonder why? OU was in the 80's at least so I guess that is about average and that is where I plan to go.

    Marilyn
    Marilyn,

    I like math too, but all this talk of Chemistry has me a wee bit scared..LOL. My mom always tells me, just because something is hard doesn't mean it can't be done! So we'll be fine!

    Rstewart,

    Thanks again for infinite wisdom..lol. You brought out some really good points. I will definetly ask about the pass rate being so low and what the contributing factors are.


    Vailgang,



close