Ineffective Airway ClearanceRegister Today!
- by ajitamamasita Jun 30, '09Hello,
I seem to be stuck on the final part of my care plan. I need some help with patient outcome/goals with time frames. One is a short term goal and one is long term. Can you give some examples that would apply for Ineffective Airway Clearance? I really appreciate your help.
- 18,000 Views
- Jun 30, '09 by DaytoniteIt really has a lot to do with what your AEB item(s) are. What is the evidence you have to support using this diagnosis?
- Jun 30, '09 by ajitamamasitaaeb would be chest xray showing lower lobe infiltrate, SOB, dyspnea, and cough.
- Jun 30, '09 by student005Our instructors have told us that our goals/outcomes are derived from the problem statement of the nursing diagnosis. For example, if your diagnosis is "Acute pain R/T injury sec to MVA AEB pt states "The pain in my right shoulder is an 8 on a scale of 1-10", then your goals/outcomes will focus on alleviation of the acute pain.
In your diagnosis, your goals/outcomes should focus on maintaining a clear airway. These might include the patient expectorating secretions readily, demonstration/absence of congestion with breath sounds clear, noiseless respirations, improved O2 exchange (absence of cyanosis, ABG results within client norms), etc. Just remember to include measurable criteria and a specific time period in which the goal is to be met -- without those two things, you cannot objectively evaluate patient progress.
Hope that helps! =)
- Jun 30, '09 by Daytonitethen your outcomes and goals are going to focus on reversing the sob, dyspnea (which is the same as sob), and cough. you have no control over the x-ray because that is something that the doctor must order. your nursing interventions are going to be aimed at doing something about the dyspnea and cough. your goals will be what you predict will happen as a result of those interventions (usually, the improvement of the symptoms).
see http://allnurses.com/nursing-student...cp-372845.html - need help for ncp which addresses this diagnosis, goals and nursing interventions about it.
- ineffective airway clearance
- http://www1.us.elsevierhealth.com/me...ex.cfm?plan=02 - ineffective airway clearance