Hi, I am a 3rd semester nursing student. I have been trying to get a tech job in the icu in vain. I have applied probably 6-7 times within 1 year (for 85% of icu tech jobs opened) and have only had one interview. I didn't get the job . I really want to get my foot in the door while in school to get experience and to prepare for after graduation. My dream is to work in the icu for 3-4 years and then become an icu np or a travel or flight nurse.
experience on me:
*Past job: 10 months of experience as a CMA in a ltc facility.
* Current job: 9 months (and counting) of experience PCT/health unit clerk in a rehab unit within a hospital facility (same company as CMA job, I just transferred from a ltc facility to a hospital facility).
* Current job: 3 months of experience as a student nurse tech in a step down med surg unit.
I am PRN for both of my current jobs. I like my current jobs very much and feel very blessed to have them; however, I want to pursuit my goal of getting an icu tech position. Here are my questions:
1. Could someone look over my resume to see if I am doing something wrong? (I will post it if someone will read it).
2. Is it something else that I am not seeing, that is keeping me from landing an icu job?
3. Do companies track interview records? During the one interview I got, I mentioned something extremely stupid and naive
. you can look at my past threads to find out what, I wont repeat it
Could that be the reason why HR isn't looking at me?
5. If that is it, what else can I do? am I marred forever due to that incidence?
6. What advice can you give me? I would appreciate any.
Feel free to just answer one, some or all of the above. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.