Hello, everyone. I'm looking for a little advice. I'm new to this forum, and was looking for other nurses to talk to about the situation I find myself in, so here goes.
I've only had my nursing license for about a year and a half. I worked for over a year of that time in orthopedics. I decided to leave that position due to scheduling problems, etcetera. I found another job that was in outpatient dialysis, and gave my notice at the orthopedic unit. Well, I worked in the dialysis center for about a month and a half, and wound up quitting suddenly one day. There were many reasons why I quit, including my not getting the training I had been promised. I was not comfortable with operating the machines from start to finish, had never stuck anyone, etc. I was supposed to be in training for 5 weeks, but they pretty much shoved me out on the floor well before that 5 week period was over, because they needed me to act as a nurse. It's been about 2 weeks since I quit that job. There is a recruiting company I've been working with since I've been out of work, as well as some other avenues I've been looking at. Well, the recruiting company has found me job opportunities, but they all would require me to move. I live in NC, and have lived in NC or SC all my life. I'm not unhappy with the place I'm living now. Well, one of the opportunities the recruiting company found for me is in Wisconsin, halfway across the country from where I'm living now. I interviewed over the phone, and then they flew me up to WI for an in-person interview the latter part of last week. It seems like a nice place to live in general, and the cost of living is less than it is where I currently live, but my pay rate would be increasing a little bit, so financially things would be better for me. However, I don't know anyone in the Wisconsin area, other than some extended family on my mother's side. I've been living in the same city in NC for 7 years, and have a pretty good network of friends and acquaintances here at home. The weather differences are also a concern. It's supposed to get up into the low 70's here today, and it might not even get above freezing in Wisconsin. I have a small car, too, that is 7 years old, and I don't know if it's ready for Wisconsin weather, either. And it would be a change for my dog, too. When we had snow here in NC a week or two ago, she didn't really like it, and I'm afraid of having problems getting her to do her business outside when it's really cold and there's snow on the ground. Anyway, though, they are offering me a $5000 sign on bonus, which is appealing to me. I have been having financial problems ever since I had to be out of work for almost 2 months last year after I had surgery. At the same time, a good portion of that money will have to go to relocation. And I'm getting pushed to get up there and working within 2 weeks, which is pushing it for me. I'd rather have 3 weeks. I am, of course, having urgent money problems right now, too. I have an interview in a resort-area of SC this next week, through the same recruiters. On the plus side, it's a southern town and not halfway across the country. It would put me closer to one of my sisters, who I like to spend time with. The climate is, if anything, warmer than the place where I live now. On the down side, though, the area is pretty expensive to live in, because it is a resort area. I'll probably have to live in one of the nearby towns that are not quite so expensive. It sounds like a good job, though. Then I also have the option of staying here. I can go to the orthopedic unit and possibly get rehired, if I grovel enough. I have one or two pending job opportunities in this area. I already live here, and won't have to move my stuff or change apartments, or apply for nursing licensure in another state. I have friends here, and won't have to find all new friends somewhere else.
Anyway, what do y'all think?? I'm looking for some advice, here.