Changing licensing board before actually sitting NCLEX?

  1. 0
    Hi all,

    So I have a bit of a dilemma. I am currently from CT and am registered to take my NCLEX here in two weeks (the 17th), since I didn't have any job prospects at the time. However, I have, since registering for my exam, had two job interviews, both in separate states. One was in FL and I would need my licensure by July 30th. The other one I believe I can wait until August to have my license (but still out-of-state). I'm almost 100% sure I wouldn't have time to get my CT license, and then apply for license by endorsement in time for the FL job.

    I'm worried about the timing with all the BONs and was just wondering if I should cancel my current exam, apply for licensure within the specific state (for example FL), get my ATT in that state and reschedule my exam? I'm afraid that this even may take too long since FL has such a complicated process. I heard that I could switch BONs with pearson vue but this is before you receive your ATT (I've already received mine from CT). Does anyone have any experience with this and could help me out? It's stressing me out big time!!!!
  2. Get our hottest nursing topics delivered to your inbox.

  3. 812 Visits
    Find Similar Topics
  4. 3 Comments so far...

  5. 0
    Starting from scratch will more than likely cost you more delays and I seriously doubt you will get sorted by Florida by the end of this month. I have also changed title to reflect you are applying for license not NCLEX
  6. 1
    It's really, really unlikely that you'll be able to apply for license, get your ATT, schedule your NCLEX, take the test and receive your license within a month. Especially since this is the busiest time of the year for BON's, as nursing schools have recently let out and thousands of new grad nurses are applying for their licensure.

    If I understand correctly, you have interviewed for the out of state positions, but you have not been offered the position yet. If that's the case, then you could potentially be starting from scratch to get a license that you'll never use. I recommend taking the NCLEX now, in CT and getting your license there. Then immediately apply for licensure by endorsement to Florida, if you're offered the job. Call the job in Florida and explain that you have a CT license and have applied for endorsement, but 30 days was not enough notice to get a Florida license.
    Silverdragon102 likes this.
  7. 0
    Getting A Florida license by endorsement is kind of a pain. When I did it a few years back I actually used one of those companies that carried everything through to Tallahassee. Even then it took a while, and I almost had issues. It took about 28 days.

    You can actually sit to take the NCLEX for any state anywhere, but since you are already registered for CT, it might be more difficult. If you think you'll take the Florida job, I'd try to change it because getting licensed in Florida is one of the more expensive endorsements (I think, been a while since I endorsed anything.) And it might be worth it to figure out if you are going to have an offer or not, before you take the exam.

    But again, I don't think you can just change which ever state you want the NCLEX to be in, now that you are registered- I'm hoping this makes sense.


Top