Can't sleep anymore! - page 2
I'm extremely frustrated right now. I have been working night shift (11-7) for almost a year now, and I've never had problems sleeping during the day, until now. I generally go to bed around 8 am, and I was able to sleep until at... Read More
- 1Jul 24, '11 by xstarsfallingxI have the same problem as you, but only on the opposite spectrum. I have been on nights for almost 2 years now and suddenly I cannot sleep at a decent hour on my nights off. I usually work two in a row and then have 2-4 nights off, so I try to go back to a day schedule. I simply cannot fall asleep despite being tired. If I stay awake until 2am then forget it...I get a second wind and I am subsequently up until at least 5.
I just bought melatonin yesterday and took it for the first time last night: 3mg about 30min before bed. I was already a bit sleepy, but by the time I climbed into bed I fell asleep faster than I have in months (I usually lay in bed for 30min or so before actually falling asleep). I slept from midnight to 0600, woke up to my alarm to go cycling, and was awake and ready to go.
Obviously I will need a few more nights to truly speak on its efficacy, but my coworkers use it as well for sleeing during the day and they swear by it.
- 0Jul 24, '11 by DreamyEyesThanks for everyone's replies so far.
I am hoping that having the 4 nights off and sleeping at night during that time is what messed my body up. I'm only 24, so I know its not an age thing.
I work again tonight, so we'll see how much sleep I get tomorrow. I actually just woke up from a 2 hour nap- but I really don't want to split my sleep up like this all the time, I had a good routine going on for awhile.
I may try going to bed later in the morning...around 9 or 10, and seeing if that helps.
- 1Jul 24, '11 by IdrilRNI haven't slept for anything the last few days because of the heat wave here in the eastern US. Been waking up about 1pm and not being able to get back to sleep. Today was cooler, so sleep was better.
Tomorrow have stuff to do, thank goodness I have no work for two nights. Sleeping in the dark, there is nothing like it!
- 0Jul 25, '11 by Sehille4774OMG! That was me alll last week. My problem was mostly the heatwave. Even with the AC on it was so hot in my room. Yesterday was the first day i slept 8 solid hours...TG! the rest of the week it was 8-11 and then 2-7.
And I had 2 days in a row off...went back to sleeping at night. That's the hardest part..b/c why would you want to be on a night shift schedule when you are on a day off?? Yet if you switch back and forth then your schedule is out of wack.
When I get out of sync like that Melatonin 3mg I find helps alot...and it does regulate your circadian rhythm so your body can sleep deep enough to get that stage 3 or 4 sleep. It also has few, if any side effects, can be used semi-long term. Also no AM hangover.
I stay away from other sleep aids like tylenol pm (benadryl) and even Valerian which is an herbal sleep aid. You get dependent so fast...and then what the heck do you do when they stop working? I also would sleep really long, or be very tired long after I woke up. Not worth it.
- 0Jul 25, '11 by Sehille4774Quote from kessadawnI recently read that if your sleep issue is that you fall asleep but don't stay asleep that one strategy, like someone else mentioned is to fight the urge to get out of bet or get up.Afew things have helped, like cutting out caffiene and really making myself stay in bed when I wake up at noon.
I had been getting up, checking the internet, getting a snack..and then trying but not falling back to sleep for 2-3 hours.
Tried this yesterday and it did help me!
Also read in the same article about trying breathing exercises. Inhale for 5 seconds. Hold for 3 seconds. Exhale for 5 seconds. Ill have to try this more. But I did feel relaxed!
See my other post about melatonin.