Better Glimpse into the ED "Chaos" - Page 2Register Today!
- Jul 6, '10 by KimGauThanks..I definatly think that in most cases people abuse the emergency room. I have seen so many people in the ER complaining about the amount of time they are waiting when all they have is a cough. Do people not know what urgent care offices are for? The lady with the ingrown toenail blows my mind, I dont understand how any human being coulde be so selfish and behave that way when they just witnessed someone dying.....
- Jul 6, '10 by canoeheadQuote from KimGau... they wheeled him into an empty hallway and literally left him there for 3 hours unattended while employees hung out joking and talking literally one foot from the gurney that he was strapped to (still in the neck brace and restraints)
If they were one foot from the gurney he was not unattended.
Three hours is too long to be on a backboard by anyone's standards.
At some hospitals where I live ambulance patients are waiting for up to 6 hours in hallways with the crew until a bed becomes free in the ER. There is nothing the ambulance crew can do, and the staff at the receiving hospital is out straight 24/7. It's not right, and staff becomes hardened just to survive the shift. Write a letter to the administrator and complain, you'll be doing everyone a favor.
- Jul 6, '10 by PatMac10,RNThank You So much RaziRN I really enjoyed shadowing.
- Jul 6, '10 by arabianeyez83OMG Kim that is completely unacceptable...people are taken off backboards right in triage...your dad would have been taken straight to a room..if there was no room ( someone who already has a disposition and is stable and is just waiting on a bed..would have been moved to the hall way) He's having trouble breathing and passing out! That would have a been a resuscitation in my ER...sorry that ER SUX!!! Write a complain in detail!
- Jul 7, '10 by KimGauThanks everyone! I really felt bad for being mad because I know how hard all healthcare professionals have it. To clarify his being unattended the people in the hallway where not working they were just hanging out joking about their day, and they were only there for maybe 30 minutes of the 3 hours. I had not thought about writing a complaint, but that hospital did offer me a position observing in the ER and I wondered If I could be in that situation, witnessing such poor patient care and not say or do anything. Thanks everyone for the kind words and for making me feel like Im not such a horrible person for getting so angry.