report project

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hi, I am a nursing student, and I have to do a quality assurance report. My report will be on decubitus. Does anyone know where I can find an example of how to do a QA report.:bluecry1:

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

You can try looking for one on the Internet. Search for "quality assurance" or its new catch phrase "quality improvement". Since I was on a number of QA committees I can tell you how this works.

1. You need a specific procedure or policy that you are going to address in this study. So, if you are going to do something about decubitus ulcers you need to look at a policy on dressings for them or evaluation of the number/improvement of them in the facility and how that is accomplished.
  2. Work up a written assessment tool that addresses the specific things you are looking for changes on (like a questionnaire). You have a goal to see if xxx policy/procedure is being followed, Or, are decubitus ulcers healing in xxx time as stated in care plans. You set a compliance rate you expect the staff to achieve. 90-95% compliance is not out of line. These assessment tools are your guides for what data you will be looking for. They can be as simple as the check off sheets similar to what you did in your procedures lab in first semester of nursing school.
  3. Collect your data and fill out one assessment sheet for each subject observed. If you are assessing procedures you actually go and watch people performing the procedures to see if they are following the step by step procedures as written. You only observe them--make no comments to the people performing the procedures. If you are collecting statistical data, just collect the data.
  4. Compile the results. We presented the data in a chart form. Include a short analysis and make recommendations for any remedial steps that need to be made.

We used to find that if we were watching procedures it was best to try to observe them without the nurses knowing we were doing this (sometimes hard to do). Remember how anxious people got in nursing lab when they knew they were being watched. We did a big handwashing study and mostly just sat quietly in a corner pretending to read a chart, no one knowing what we were doing, and oh boy! did we get an eyeful! The results were dreadful--as they are in most places that do this study. Many times our recommendations were to inservice the staff on the procedures if they fell below a 95% threshold of compliance in following a procedure.

Thanks for the reply

+ Add a Comment