RNs without hospital experienceRegister Today!
This is a discussion on RNs without hospital experience in Florida Nursing, part of United States Nursing ... Does anyone know of any hospitals in central FL (Orange or Brevard counties) that accept RNs who...by RNCC1 Nov 20, '11Does anyone know of any hospitals in central FL (Orange or Brevard counties) that accept RNs who have worked as a nurse but without hospital experience into their GN program? I have worked as a nurse for over 10 years but not in a hospital setting. I am interested in becoming a critical care nurse. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=643967©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,419 Views
- The best advice that I can give is find a local school that offers a critical care certificate. I know that Saint Petersburg College does here in West Central Florida. There is a clinical component to this certification and it would serve you well in your quest.
I hope your dreams become reality.
- Thanks mindlor. That's great advice and thank you for your quick response. Are the classes geared towards nurses who have no knowledge of critical care? Should I take an ACLS class before enrolling? Do you know if St. Pete offers the classes on the weekends? I live on the east coast but would be willing to travel. Last question, do you know how far the campus is from Brandon, FL. I have a friend who lives there. Thanks
- Hey. And yes I think ACLS and PALS would be awesome things to get. Of course review all of your med surge, critical lab values, DKA, SIADH, all the types of shock and of course all the appropriate interventions.
Also I would brush up on burns etc. IV starts, hanging IV meds, piggybacks, pushes....gladgow coma scale, assessment esp resp, cardio and neuro, review all the different types of EKG strips, AV heart block, V Fib, etc....
NIH Stroke scoring, stroke interventions....so much to review lol.
I have to assume there is a school near you that offers this. otherwise, SPC is about 25-30 miles from Brandon, but the traffic is brutal. I am not sure about the online component....
- Thanks mindlor. You took me back with those subjects. I definitely understand and agree that knowledge of those subjects are CRITICAL to my success. Wishing you and your family a beautiful Thanksgiving.
- Thanks and I wish you and yours a wonderfful Holiday season as well
- Nov 20, '11 by jahraSorry no advice here, but wanted to wish you the
very best with your nursing career goal!
- Thanks jahra