Independent private duty nurse?

  1. I'm about to start a business doing a mix of home health and in-home care, but possibly marketing myself as a personal-care RN (sort-of a private duty RN but not doing high level nursing like trachs or kiddos). My plan is to market to elderly or other folks who aren't getting medicare-paid home health but who need extra help doing simple medical tasks like help with medications, safety checks, bp checks, wound care, blood draws, vit b12 shots, ride to Dr's office, Rx delivery, diabetes checks, education, etc. I will offer to communicate with their doc if needed.

    I've been an RN for 12 years but my background is working in a physician office, home health, in-home care and in-patient rehab so I really don't have skills to do high acuity nursing.

    What do you all think of the feasibility of this? I know I would need good liability, malpractice, auto and bonding insurance as well as Hippa forms and a client contract. Thinking of charging $40 per hour with a one-hour minimum then charge in 15 min increments after that. I live in a somewhat small town so the longest drive between client houses would be about 15 min.

    I'm willing to expand into other errands/personal care as needed. I'm working in a per diem job in in-patient rehab in a hospital and am barely working. I'd love to be self-employed since I'm a single mom of 2 kiddos. I don't have last-minute coverage for them if they are out sick or on snow days so I've avoided taking on a full-time position since I have to have flexibility in my schedule.
  2. 7 Comments

  3. by   nurseprnRN
    It's HIPAA, and the first thing to do is see an attorney to help you get your business straight. You also need an accountant to manage your taxes (you'll have to have quarterly withholding and annual taxes) and a federal employee ID number (EIN), even if you're a single-person shop.

    You might want to consider looking into the growing professional patient advocate business. They have had 2 national annual meetings and there's a certification. Many of the people doing it have nursing backgrounds. You have a lot of the skills already-- think about it. Professional Patient Advocate Institute

    Disclaimer: I spoke at their last national meeting, no money involved. Not my kind of work, though.
  4. by   WhatamIdoing
    Yep, working on going through all the legal hoops right now (also working on my spelling). Thanks for the info on patient advocates. I'm going to look into that also.
  5. by   RNMD01
    I am thinking of going into business myself. Have you had success with this idea..
  6. by   MohamedRN
    I have been thinking of this very 'same' idea for the last 4 years but did not take the initiative. Right now, however, I feel very strong about it and need to go full force at it!
    Currently, I am the D.O.N. for a home health company which pays fairly well. I love to have my own business and be independent. I do not want to be living on "pay check to pay check forever...with no benefits like retirement ". On the other hand, however, I can't afford NOT to have the steady income I am currently getting!!!!?
    After reading your post and the replies to it, I feel I am getting a better idea of what I should do, in terms (legal advice, insurance, bond, etc..).
    The question to you "WhatamIdoing" and to whoever is in similar situation is: have you started yet? What do you there is a real potential?
    Hope to getting feedback soon.
  7. by   lamona1955
    Don't forget about getting a background check.
  8. by   NC29mom
    Ummm.....dont you have to work under a doctor to do these tasks in the home? Shouldn't there be an order for wound care, injections, and such?
  9. by   aTOMicTom
    Quote from GrnTea
    ...You also need an accountant to manage your taxes (you'll have to have quarterly withholding and annual taxes) and a federal employee ID number (EIN), even if you're a single-person shop.
    I have owned a "small" business and I agree; don't think you can do it without an attorney and / or an accountant. Spend the $600 now to save $$$ later. Also do not extend more credit than you can afford to lose.
    My understanding is that a you don't need an EIN unless you employ others. Until you do, your SS# is your tax ID #. But of course this would be something your new tax attorney could better advise.

    Interesting idea, sounds a bit like when docs made house calls!