Med-Surg nurse trying to move to Critical Care. Need advice!Register Today!
- by Nurse Houlihan Dec 4, '11Hi, I've been a nurse for two years. It's my second career. I was an oral surgery asst led to management for 12 years. I've been on the floor since graduating as med-surg nurse. There are a lot of new young nurses with a lot if drama and favortism in advancement into charge positions. I want to move to PCU but they are all katty too. The same girls from the floor went to the unit. The mgr over all the units require you to start in pcu unless they hire you as a new grad. I want to work in minu because nurses are nicer. I can't seem to get my foot beyond the door of floating to pcu in a time of need... Help... I'm burning out on med surg.
- 2,356 Views
- Dec 5, '11 by BiffbradfordI have no idea what PCU or MINU are but it sounds like it's all about politics. Perhaps pick up some certifications that would help in the position you desire. That might help tip the scale in your favor.
- Dec 15, '11 by dh07RNPCU = Progressive Care Unit? Not sure what MINU stands for...something medicine?
- Mar 3, '12 by blondieRN5try a different hospital??
- Mar 5, '12 by gogradyUnits and hospitals are like fish in the sea... there are always more. Drama is everywhere and just about impossible to escape. Rise above it instead of subjecting yourself to it. Chances are there are others like you who hate it just as much if not more than you do. Seek out these people and they will be your best friends. If you really want to move to another unit draw out goals and steps for each goal on how to get there. If you find yourself hitting a wall along the way reevaluate and determine another path to your goal. Talk to people who work in the unit you want to work, talk to the directors and the coordinators, be honest with them and your desires. Last but not least be willing to do whatever it takes to get where you want and when you get there be willing to do even more to stay there. If its really what you want it will be more than worth the cost of whatever you have to sacrifice to get there.