Who is accepted at GWCC for fall 2012 or spring 2013?
- 0Apr 16, '12 by lpmottsterHi, Just wanted to start a thread for all of the people accepted to Gateway Community College, Connecticut for the fall 2012 or spring 2013! Introduce yourself!
- 11,954 Visits
- 0Apr 20, '12 by lpmottsterCongrats! I was accepted for the spring 2013 and I am wait listed to switch to the fall if possible. One of my classmates as well. All we have heard so far is an e-mail saying secure your seat by returning your acceptance letter and then information will follow. So glad that you found my post. Hoping others will soon! Let me know if you hear anything, and I will do the same.
- 0Apr 21, '12 by neverknowHI. Because we I am bridging over I have to complete a online program March29! When that is completed then I can register for the 200 classes. I have to meet with a councilor next week. I am so excited to get this done. Congrads to your acceptance .Gateway I'd so hard to get into. This was my first time applying
- 0Apr 23, '12 by xenogeneticI just completed the LPN to RN bridge program (NUR 190 + 195) on Friday and want to give you a heads up and warning on them. The 3 credit online course via Charter Oak College (NUR 190) is pretty easy. Basically you're asked do care plans (which are not difficult, just time consuming and they want you to use verbiage word for word out of the nsg diagnosis textbook), an online workbook (super easy), and then discussion board postings (weeks 1,2, and 10).
THEN, after your done with Charter Oak's online class you have to take a 1 credit "practicum" at your home school. They word "practicum" that they use is very misleading because it's a little bit of hands on learning (the easy part) AND they absolutely slam you with an accelerated course of Med Surg in which you're expected to read and learn 5-6 chapters per week from your thick a** Med Surg book and will be tested on at each of your weekly meetings. And if you complain about the workload they will merely state "well, you chose to take this accelerated course so deal with it." I would highly, highly recommend trying to get in touch with your NUR 195 instructor ahead of time and get the syllabus and study before the start of the class. You will have a math medication test (which consists of you knowin your equivalencies...oz in a cup, how many pints in a liter, etc.) your first day of class where they give you 3 tries to get a passing score but they take your first attempt as part of your overall grade. Be sure to study ahead of time for that exam as well.
The workload of the 1 credit course warrented it to be worth 3 credits and the 3 credit class at Charter Oak should have been the 1 credit course. I was shocked and surprised at this and just wanted to give those going into the course in the future a heads up. Best of luck to you!
- 0Apr 23, '12 by lpmottsterThis was my first time applying to Gateway as well. I also applied to Bridgeport Hospital, but Gateway is more convenient and I have heard great things about their program lately! We will be in downtown New Haven in the new building. I believe they said the 4th floor will be the nursing school. I don't know anything about the books yet.
What is your background? Have you been taking the pre-reqs and co-reqs at Gateway? I just finished up the last of mine, so I did request to be switched to the fall semester, just waiting to hear on that. Very excited to get started! Another classmate/friend of mine was accepted as a spring start with us as well. I am 43, have 3 kids, one leaving for college, so this will be a second career for me. Something I have always wanted to do. I worked as a postpartum doula, so if I don't get switched to the fall, I am going to continue with that and do some training in labor and delivery until January. Keep in touch with any information that you find out and I will do the same. Congrats!!! Gateway is VERY difficult to get into!
- 0Apr 23, '12 by nursing4811Hello thank you for so much info! I work at Yale in the MICU I have a BA in psychology from western ct state. I have worked in the ED and GI for 6 years. I have never done anything but working in medical. I am 26 with a 1 year old who just started sleeping through the night YEY!! I hope to meet all the springers at orientation good luck everyone!Last edit by nursing4811 on Apr 23, '12 : Reason: Not Done
- 0Apr 24, '12 by neverknow@ xenogenetic....Thank you so much for your advice.. This helps me greatly being that I did not know what to expect from the bridge program. If you dont mind me asking what school are you in now. Is there books I will have to buy for charter oak?.. is there a dose calc book I can purchase ahead of time? Were the questions from med surgery class Nclex questions? Did u have to go to any clinical at a hospital? Thanks in advance
@ studentnursect hi. Are you a LPN also? Did you have orientation already? I meet with a councillor today. Did your instructor tell you what book you will need? Thanks and congradsLast edit by neverknow on Apr 24, '12