My CNA story.Register Today!
- by Kris10Noel Jan 2In September of 2012 I took a chance and left my full time nannying job to pursue training and certification as a nurse aide. I figured this would serve me well in applying to nursing schools and give me great experience for my ultimate career as a nurse.
I got my CNA certification on November 2nd and was suppose to be hired by the LTC facility I trained at. However ....Due to issues with hurricane Sandy (I live on Long Island in NY) and cheap new owners, they never ended up hiring anyone from the class, or even bothering to call us to let us know what was going on.
I applied to over 50+ facilities and local hospitals. I was lucky enough to get 4 call backs. I went on 3 interviews and I am very glad to say ....
I landed a CNA job at Stony Brook University Medical Center!!!! I am also applying to Stony Brook's School of Nursing for Fall 2013 so this should surely help my chances of acceptance!
The funny thing is after I accepted the job from stony brook hospital, the facility that i trained at and that left myself and my classmates in the dark called me that day offering me a position. Although I thoroughly enjoyed training there and I miss the residents dearly, considering what they did to our class, ditching us like that, I just don't trust them. I stuck with my decision to work at stony brook.
Tomorrow is my first day of hospital orientation and I am sooooo excited. Getting my CNA was the best decision I've made for myself in a while. I can't wait to start tomorrow and to see where my path continues to lead me.
Thanks for listening guys, and to those still searching or struggling, keep your head up! Something will come along if you're persistent and determined enough! Good luck all!
- Jan 2 by stewartfamily2010That is so awesome! It's nice to hear that something so positive came out of something so negative for you. I work a desk job but am starting my CNA training in two weeks. It's a weekend program so I'll be working full time, going to school to finish up my final pre-req to apply to the nursing program and doing my CNA training on the weekends. I am nervous yet excited because I know it's the stepping stone I need to get experience in nursing.
- Jan 2 by thelittledoeI'm surprised to hear it was that difficult for you to get a call back on LI. I live in NJ and got a call back from every place I applied. They are so desperate for CNAs here. I got four offers also and I was told it was because I was planning on attending nursing school. Anyway awesome story! Good luck in your future!
- Jan 2 by ahoefacongrats in your job and all the best in life,am enrolling in a cna class in jan 14 and hoping wen am done i get a job.GOODLUCK IN ALL YOUR ENDEAVOURS
- Jan 2 by NewNurse2013What wages are you being offered in NJ?
- Jan 2 by Kris10NoelQuote from thelittledoeIt wasn't difficult for me to get a call back. I got 4 call backs right away, silly! Good luck to you as well!I'm surprised to hear it was that difficult for you to get a call back on LI. I live in NJ and got a call back from every place I applied. They are so desperate for CNAs here. I got four offers also and I was told it was because I was planning on attending nursing school. Anyway awesome story! Good luck in your future!
- Jan 2 by Kris10NoelQuote from jchildsI've heard from many that its the best job to have when enrolled in or preparing for nursing school. Do you work at a hospital or in a LTC?Congrats on your new job and good luck towards getting into nursing school! I work as an aide here in San Antonio and I am to graduate with my BSN in December. Your experiences at work will definitely help you get more out of your clinicals.