This is to help nursing student out who would like to challenge the CNA exam and become CNAs while in nursing school
. The CA Dept. of Public Health does not make it very clear how to do this so i though I would make it a little easier on people.
With the job market being so scary for new nurses I have decided to work as a CNA to better my chances of being hired when I get out of school. The only graduates from my ASN nursing program last year who got jobs were those who had worked as CNAs and those who took jobs at prisons. Since the latter does not appeal to me I figured I would give myself a little extra boost with the CNA experience. Here is how you go about it:
1. you have to have finished your first semester of nursing school to be eligible
2. go to the Dept. of Public Health website (publications and forms tab then certified nurse assistant/home health aide/hemodyalisi tech forms)...or just go to the website below
3. print/ fill out out application form HS 283 B
4. print BCII 8016 SAMPLE
this will show you have to fill out the Live Scan form so you can get finger printed
5. print out 3 copies of form BCII 8016
fill out the form as it is in the sample form.
this is you request for a Live Scan (finger printing system in CA). It is important you print out 3 copies!!!! and fill them out properly
6. request a copy of official
transcripts from your nursing school. Yes they have to be official and sealed.
7. Go get you Live Scan. You can do this at official Live Scan sites such as police office or even some UPS stores. It cost me $44 for my live scan. Make sure you bring your paperwork.
8. Send your completed application, ONE of the completed Live Scan forms, and your official transcripts to the address below (it is also on the application form)
California Department of Public Health
Licensing and Certification Program (L&C)
Aide and Technician Certification Section (ATCS)1615 Capitol Avenue, MS 3301
P.O. Box 997416
Sacramento, CA 95899-7416
9. The Dept. of Public Health then assesses if you are eligible to challenge the CNA exam (which you should be if you did everything above) and will send you info on taking the test. It costs $90 to take the test I believe.
Hope that helps anyone who is looking for this info!!!!
Just FYI this is the current info for 2009-2010 so dont hold me to this if it gets changed in the future