Do I need to retake a CNA class to take the state's exam?Register Today!
- by work&play Aug 15, '09I completed a CNA course through an ROP program in high school over 10 years ago. We were just handed a certificate at the end of the class. The instructors faded, and never instructed us on how to get state certified. Do any of you know if I need to retake the course in order to take the exam.
I was wondering if I could study my textbook and take the California exam? Help?
- Aug 16, '09 by NurseCubanitaRN2bI was in the same position as you except I had a CNA license 15 years ago. I contacted the State and was told that I had to retake the class before I was able to take the state exam. I am in California, and I'm unsure of the rules about posting email addresses of the state, so I will email it to you.
- Aug 16, '09 by work&playThanks again. I have to retake the class. I also did all my rn prereqs back then and they need to be within 5 years as well.
- Aug 16, '09 by NurseCubanitaRN2bYou were just like me 4 years ago. I had all my prerequisites done and above 3.0 for my sciences. I was told I had to retake them all because they expired after 5 years. Guess what? Just recently they threw out the 5 year rule. That 5 year rule really screwed me over because I was told back then that you get points taken off for retakes EVEN IF YOU PASSED THEM FIRST TIME AROUND. They were going to take about .35-.40 off your GPA and I wouldn't have made the GPA cut off. So I had to retake EVERYTHING for the RN program. I was told I could do LVN first, which I did and I don't regret my decision of taking it first. But had this stupid 5 year rule thing hadn't been in play I could have applied to the RN program back in 2005 because everything was done already. So my advise to you is, if you can find a school that doesn't have the 5 year rule, apply there first. See if you can get in.
- Aug 16, '09 by work&playEvery school I'm interested in has the five-year prereqs rule. I don't think I'm going to be able to do as good as the first time. Now, I'm older and my memory is not as good as when I was 21.
I bought the Anatomy coloring book. Pretty much everything cameback to me. The muscles,nerves,bones and systems. It reminded me of the good-old wanting to be a nurse days! It felt good.
I'm actually looking forward to going back to a community college.