male CNMRegister Today!
- by questioningRN Sep 13, '12Are there any male Certified Nurse Midwives out here? How about Women's Health Nurse Practitioner?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=784627©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,552 Views
- Sep 14, '12 by itsnoworneverI will be the first to say that I avoid any female in the business of my "girlie business" so I would be more than willing to see a male NP. I had a female dr for the first half of my first pregnancy and she was awful (not saying all are, she just left me with a HORRIBLE experience) so from now on I only see male doctors. I started going into preterm labor with my daughter at the beginning of my 6th month of pregnancy, and this doctor had the nerve to say "You are a new mom, it's just braxton hicks"...yeah well the Major overseeing this Captain looked at her cock eyed and kicked her out of the room and explained that it was NOT braxton hicks, I was indeed going into preterm labor and said I had to stay off my feet for the duration of the pregnancy. She was physically aggressive (cervical checks with her were scream worthy) as well as emotionally lacking in the patient/soldier care aspect.
If you wanna work in those areas, GO FOR IT! I am sure there are more women like me who prefer male doctors.
- Sep 15, '12 by questioningRNI just wanted to thank you for your kind words! I have been on the fence as to what I should do, bc my fear of the unknown (will I get a job?) Its a huge time and financial commitment to go back for school. Heck I am already nervous about finding preceptors!
But you really did make me feel a lot better, thank you!
Give me two years, and, Ill start taking new patients!
- Sep 16, '12 by itsnoworneverGood luck to you! If you care about your patients, then that is all that will matter!
- Sep 18, '12 by edmiaYes! I have met a male CNM. He's a leader in the field and a very compassionate clinician. This is an article about him: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/31/ny...ty/31colm.html
Here's a blog on this very subject: http://www.midwife.org/index.asp?bid...233&FormID=300
If you have a passion for birth and changing maternity care towards a more woman and family centered approach, don't let a gender issue stop you!
Sent from my iPhone using allnurses.com