Endorsing Cali. License to another state! Please help.

  1. I am thinking about moving and applying RN job in another states.

    I did not decide which state that I will apply yet. I will move to any state which offers me a job.

    Do I have to endorse my California license first before applying?

    because I don't want to waste my money and time. I don't even know what state I will go and what state will give me a chance.

    I am desperate old new grad. Please, share your stories who got jobs out of state and how was it.

    Thank you very much.
  2. Visit ehjoanne profile page

    About ehjoanne

    Joined: Dec '09; Posts: 14


  3. by   mariebailey
    Since Cali is not a compact state, you will be applying for licensure by endorsement in other states if you are licensed in CA. It is a lengthy, expensive process, so you may want to narrow down where you may see yourself moving before you begin applying for jobs. It depends on the employer, but some won't even look at you if you don't have a license to practice in their state. I have multiple licenses, and it usually takes a month or 2 to get them processed. Below is a link to NCSBN's page on the issue. Good luck. https://www.ncsbn.org/nlc.htm#moving
  4. by   TheCommuter
    Feel free to apply to jobs in other states without being licensed in those states. However, you will be taken more seriously as an applicant if you already have nursing licensure in the states where you apply for jobs.
  5. by   ehjoanne
    Thank you for your kind responses!! ^^
  6. by   Meriwhen
    IMO, apply everywhere, but until you snag an offer...for now get endorsement only for states that you would be serious about relocating to.

    For example, if you're looking at ND just because it's the supposed new grad haven and/or are somewhat ambivalent about moving there, IMO don't waste your money on a ND license just yet. But if the idea of working in nearby NV is very appealing, or if you really want to work in a place further out like TX and plan to apply for lots of jobs there, then getting that state's endorsement may be worth it.
  7. by   ehjoanne
    Thank you for your advice. It was very helpful.
  8. by   CarryThatWeight
    I was originally licensed in California and didn't have a Texas license when I received two job offers in Dallas. I was given about two months to relocate, endorse my license, and start work. Both hospitals were understanding of the process but firm that I would not be able to start until I had at least a temporary Texas license. It was understood that once I accepted an offer, I would begin the endorsement process immediately. Fortunately for me, my permanent license in Texas went through less than four weeks from the time of my application!
  9. by   ehjoanne
    It is so good that you got a job in Texas. I heard that some Texas new grad are having hard time to find jobs there as in here. Actually first state that I want to move is Dalls, Texas. I became an very old new grad for some reasons. Hopefully, I get a job like you someday. May I ask when did you apply? Thank you.