May 2011 NAU accelerated nursing program hopefuls!Register Today!
- by RunMT Dec 19, '10I'm finishing up some prerequisites and taking the HESI test on Tuesday for the January deadline. I'm a bit nervous! I wanted to see if there are any other accelerated program hopefuls applying for NAU this spring!?
Also, for the HESI, I heard that there is a&p, chem, bio, math, NO physics, but is there a grammar and a reading section?
Good luck to all in the application process!
- Dec 20, '10 by abvincent1Hey RunMt, I will be applying to NAU. I finished applying to the undergrad school recently and began the nursing application process as well. I have not taken the HESI, plan to do that the early part of January. I would not worry about the HESI, my understanding from those who have taken it is that it's rather simple. I have finished all the prerequisites with a 4.0
- Dec 20, '10 by Southern MagnoliaI'll be applying in March to the traditional program at the Tucson campus. I wanted to do the accelerated program because I already have a degree in English but they don't offer it in Tucson.
I've started preparing for the HESI. Maybe just me but I'm worried about the A&P. I did great in A&P and love it but there is so much info. It's been a year since I finished A&P II. Thankfully, I have all my notes.
Good luck to you both.
- Dec 20, '10 by RunMTI've applied to NAU and I am working on the nursing app as well! I take the HESI tomorrow, and guess what? Woke up with a 101 degree fever and a gnarly chest cold this morning, and I'm past the 48 hour cancellation deadline. Great. Haven't been sick in years, and my body chooses TODAY. It's really important I do well since they tabulate scores based on HESI test scores, prerequisite GPA and how many prerequisites you have finished by January. I still have 2 more prerequisites to go, and since I've tested out of many of the prerequisite classes (CLEP and AP credit), the one B I have really brings down my GPA. The adviser I talked to said getting in was "doable" with a solid HESI score. Yikes. That's pressure. And speaking of pressure, I'm off to try and get what seems like a huge elephant off my chest. Ugh.
- Dec 21, '10 by Southern MagnoliaRun -Oh man that stinks. I hope you've recovered. Good luck!
- Dec 21, '10 by RunMTThanks Nomad! Fever broke last night, and I felt a bit better this morning...at least comparatively...i was definitely still a struggle today. I did fine on the test though (I think?). It seems like HESI scores are hard to gauge since there are so many different versions. I wonder what the NAU average was last year? I also wonder if they actually use all the scores on all the tests to compute a cumulative score? I read somewhere that although they test you on 11 subject areas, they only consider reading, math, and A&P or something... Hmm...
- Dec 22, '10 by Southern MagnoliaI don't know about what scores they look at for sure but I'm sure the scienes and math are crucial. My feeling is the other sections confirm that you're a half-way intelligent person that can hack the amount of reading needed to do well in NS. From previous threads I got the impression I need to get around 90% overall. I don't know how accurate that is though. Just my guess. I did the A&P pretest and only got 50% (without reviewing anything first). So, I'm definately going to get some bonding time with my old A&P notes and text. Best of luck.
- Dec 22, '10 by abvincent1May I ask where you got the pre-test? My understanding is the test is universal, it does not change, which is why they won't release any questions. From those of whom have taken the test and I have spoken with, they said it was rather simple. I am planning to review what I can, but I haven't reviewed any thing and plan to take it the first week of January.
If I don't get in to NAU, NYU is my second choice, yet NAU is my top choice.
Can any of you point me in the direction of the study materials you are utilizing for this test?
- Dec 23, '10 by Southern MagnoliaStudy guide sample test. I bought the one recommened by NAU written by the test publisher. I should have called it a practice test not a pretest. Sorry.
- Dec 31, '10 by Southern MagnoliaRun,
I know you can't give specifics but anything you can share about the HESI would be appreciated. What did you study? How did you prepare? Specifically for the sciences. Are you able to skip around when taking a section and go back over your answers or do you just have to answer in one pass (I've read different things).
Was it easier than expected? It seems most people that have to take the HESI only do the general education stuff and not the sciences so a lot of the info on here doesn't seem to apply.