Moving to AlabamaRegister Today!
- by moffist Mar 6, '08Hey there is a possibility that I may be moving to Alabama (Mobile area I guess). I am currently a med/surg GI GU Digestive disease nurse. I graduted in the UK, moved to Michigan took CGRNS then Boards here and been working in the same hospital for 5 years.
So can anyone tell an Expat Brit what living and working in the Mobile Alabama is like. I looked at some jobs online but doesn't give salary. I get about $24 an hour here. What should I expect to get down there working in Med/surg area.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=286836©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,249 Views
- Mar 6, '08 by melsman1904I don't live in Mobile, but you'd be pretty close to the beach and quite a few casinos over in Mississippi. Oh, and one more thing...the hurricanes...can't forget to mention the hurricanes.
- Mar 7, '08 by MistyBlueAny suggestions about nice areas around UAB to raise a family? I am looking for a decent commute time (< 30 min hopefully), good schools, safe neighborhoods. We will rent first but looking for a good place to start our search. Thanks in advance
- Mar 7, '08 by melsman1904Try looking in Shelby county. It's close enough to Birmingham to be convenient but not so close that you have to deal with all of the crime and poor political leadership.
- Mar 16, '08 by USAstudentWelcome to Alabama!
I work in Mobile AL as a RN at the local University hospital. Starting pay here for a new graduate is approx. $19-20/hr, I have 1.5 years ex. and make about $22/hr base (plus differentials). I personally love working at a teaching institution-University of South Alabama (USA) has two hospitals here in Mobile-the Medical Center (adults) and Womens and Childrens. There are also several private hospitals in Mobile-Mobile Infirmary, Springhill Medical Center and Providence Hospital. Pay varies slightly (I think Mobile Infirmary started at the most), but are all in the same ball park. But like I said, I'm biased-I love my job at USA medical center, its a great organization to work for, also we have great benifits (the best is we're in the teachers retirment system).
The cost of living in Mobile is very reasonable. We bought our house in Midtown area for less than $125K (1500 sq ft). Let me know if you have any other questions-I've lived in the area for years and know it well.
- Mar 19, '08 by Nvr2OldQuote from MistyBlueHey MistyBlue, I am graduating in May and then I too will be looking for apartment type housing until I get . Found anything good?Any suggestions about nice areas around UAB to raise a family? I am looking for a decent commute time (< 30 min hopefully), good schools, safe neighborhoods. We will rent first but looking for a good place to start our search. Thanks in advance
- Mar 19, '08 by lsc112057I also live in Mobile, Alabama and the hospitals here are great. I work at Mobile Infirmary Medical Center as a case manager. I have been there almost thirty years and its a good place to work. Come down here and make some new friends. The makes you feel good about yourself and the patient care you give you patients..
- Mar 20, '08 by MistyBlueMarLynn, my research has only been online so far. Planning a trip there soon to see for myself. Good luck in our hunt.