Totally lost! Need Help..(Canadian Immigration)Register Today!
This is a discussion on Totally lost! Need Help..(Canadian Immigration) in Advice on Immigration, part of World Nursing ... Hey everyone. This is my first time here and my first time posting so please bear with me on this...by che_RN Jun 24, '12Hey everyone. This is my first time here and my first time posting so please bear with me on this one. I have recently been entertaining the thought of applying to Canada on a Immigrant Visa. I have asked around and have attended a seminar in the past month from an Immigration Assistance Agency--Pinoy Care to be more specific. But going through some of the threads here, it seems as though there has been a lot of problems posted in relation to that Agency. I don't know how authentic they are in the Immigration Business because it has only been a year or two since they started operating here in Dagupan.
The truth of the matter is, I am having a real hard time deciding whether I should go with an Agency or not. The thing is, when I inquired whether or not I qualify for the Skilled Worker Program they told me I did but when I did my self assessment (point system based on the criteria I found in CIC) it seemed as though I don't.
So I'm totally lost. Do I qualify or not?? And how will I know if I do qualify once i decide to apply for the visa myself? I don't want to start the application process without any actual confirmation that I do qualify otherwise I'll just get my application turned down.
Here's how I got to my conclusion about not really reaching the 67pt. quota: (If I got anything wrong, please do help me..XD)
I'm a Registered Nurse, graduate of BSN march of 2009, took the board Nov of same year.
Education :22 pts (Based on what the Agency told me I qualified for)
Age: 10 pts (I'm 23 y/o)
Work Experience: 17 pts?
(This is another part I'm puzzled with..I have been working as a Community Health Nurse for 1 yr, full time giving me the least score of 15. According to the Agency the 3 yrs <1 yr full time & 2 yrs on call basis> that I have been a Volunteer Member of the Philippine Red Cross qualifies given that it is an NGO and doesn't really give salaries. Given that it overlapped with my 1 year community Nursing job, I could roughly get around 3 yrs. work experience...around 19 pts. But I'm really not sure if the Canadian Embassy would honor my Red Cross Certification. Plus I have 3 months paid Hospital work and 6 mos Volunteer Hospital work, both of which also overlapped with my Red Cross Volunteer Work. In all, I actually don't know how many points I can get for my Work Experience. So please enlighten me..XD)
Language: 14 ( I haven't actually taken my exam so I'm assuming I can at least get 14 for that one)
Adaptability: -- (No Immediate relatives and is still single, plus no work waiting for me there)
Total: 61-65 pts still 2 points short of the minimun 67 pts
Please someone tell me, based on my qualifications, do I even qualify? If I do, there's a very big possibility I'd go with processing the application myself..any views or advise?
Big thanks to anyone who can help..XD
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=747771©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 714 Views
- Jun 24, '12 by Silverdragon102Did you use this tool to decide your points? Skilled Worker Online Self-Assessment - Education
- Jun 24, '12 by Silverdragon102There are different options to go for but a lot will depend on where in Canada you plan on living
- Jun 24, '12 by loriangel14There really is no reason for you to use an agency.All you would be doing is paying them to fill out forms you can fill out yourself.An agency cannot change or expediate the outcome of your application.
- Jun 24, '12 by che_RNThanks for the reply. I just used the link you posted and I ended up scoring lower than what I though I initially scored with..I ended up scoring 61 pts. I'm stil quite puzzled, who would determine whether my Red Cross Voluntary Service would count? If I don't meet the 67 pts and still decide to submit my application with an explanation regarding my work experience, do you think I can still qualify? I plan on staying in Ontario because I have a friend there.
- Jun 24, '12 by che_RNQuote from loriangel14Given that, I literally have no idea where to start. And the Agency told me I qualify but based on my self Assessment I don't. Based on my initial post, do you think I can apply for it myself? Thanks..XDThere really is no reason for you to use an agency.All you would be doing is paying them to fill out forms you can fill out yourself.An agency cannot change or expediate the outcome of your application.
- Jun 25, '12 by RN58186According to the assessment posted by Silverdragon102 they are asking for paid work experience:
You must have at least one year of full-time paid work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work.
Therefore I do not believe volunteering would qualify as work experience. But..... I am not in the immigration business either