Vanderbilt Pre-Specialty (for non-RNs) MSN 2013 - page 13
Hi All, There doesn't seem to be a thread yet for pre-specialty Vandy applicants (the thread going now seems to consist mostly of grad entry), so I thought I'd start one! Any other pre-specialty folks out there? I am from... Read More
- 0Feb 7, '13 by bbccI visited Vanderbilt in November and got the same information as the Open House (or so they said). Every student at Vanderbilt also gets a scholarship; the minimum is about enough to cover books ($1200 or so) and it goes up to 1 full scholarship based on GRE and GPA. I'm not sure how Columbia's program works, but I'd guess it's similar! I've already been looking at ~dream apartments~ and I know I can get a comparable place for less than I'm paying in Chicago; NYC prices are at least twice Chicago.
- 0Feb 11, '13 by bbccMy interview went great! I prepared the normal questions - strengths, weaknesses, conflict, why I want my specialty, why I want Vanderbilt, and even the topics that there weren't questions on, it helped me answer others and made me feel more confident. Now it's just a few weeks - hopefully only 2! until I expect to hear, and based on the interview and the signs from the interviewers, I'm feeling great - but you never know! They also talked about aspects of Vanderbilt I hadn't heard of, for instance, the inter-specialty clinic came up as an answer to one of my questions (always prepare questions yourself!) and it makes me even more excited about the potential for ending up at Vandy! I made sure to send thank-you cards as well. Different specialties seem to get asked different questions, as well.
- 0Feb 11, '13 by bbccNo - but seeing as how everything was done online I expect the admission decision to be as well. I don't know of any schools at this juncture who notify by written letter alone - if you apply online, you get a decision online! Last years applicants received an e-mail I believe; not sure if it says congrats/sorry or tells you to sign onto the system, but that's what I'm expecting.
- 0Feb 11, '13 by ash8788Congrats to everyone whos heard back from other schools!! I just heard that I got into MGH and I also heard that they're offering me a great scholarship. Vandy is still my first choice though so I don't know what to do! If I do get in, finances are really going to be the deal breaker, unfortunately. Vandy's website says we probably won't hear until mid to late April about scholarships and financial aid? Yikes, that's late! How are you all handling that?
- 0Feb 11, '13 by hi616ash-
I'm not sure if you know that every student is offered a scholarship at Vandy. On the downside, because every student gets one they only range from about $1000-6000 with an average of $3300 the last I heard. They do have three full tuition scholarships, but if I remember right only one pre-specialty student can get one. So unless you think you are at the top of the top when it comes to a merit based scholarship, you might want to just figure that you'll get somewhere around $3000 for the Vanderbilt scholarship. Congrats on MGH and glad to hear you got a big scholarship
- 0Feb 12, '13 by hi616My interview went really well too! The interviewer was so nice and when she said she wasn't quite sure of the answer for a question I asked she would email me back later. I really appreciated that. For FNP, it sounds like decisions will take longer than for other specialties though.
- 0Feb 12, '13 by hi616Quote from simmapleaseI get the same message as you.When I check my application status online it says "Thank you for your application for graduate study at Vanderbilt University. We will contact you when we have completed the review."
Does anyone see a different message when they check theirs??