New Nurse on a Tele/Oncology/Hospice Floor

Specialties Hospice

Published

I just graduated from nursing school and will be starting next month on a Tele/Oncology floor with 4 hospice beds and hospice is definitely the part i'm the most nervous about! I have always wanted to work in Oncology so I knew hospice was part of that and I have experience working with cancer patients and currently work in an ICU so I've been getting a lot of exposure to end of life care but thought I'd reach out to seasoned nurses. Obviously it's something that i'll become more comfortable with over time but i'd love to know if anyone has any books I could read that may give me good insight into working with hospice patients. Now that i'm done school I actually have time to read (Non textbooks) so i'd love some recommendations.

TIA!

Kudos to you for choosing oncology. There's most likely tons of books out there that you can read, sorry I can't recommend any. But I think hands-on will definitely teach you a lot. There's a lot of things that cannot be taught by books such as empathy and patience. Good luck!

Specializes in Hospice, Palliative Care.

Good day:

Barbara Karnes, RN has a number of pamphlets that are very informative; my favorite is "Gone from my Sight: The Dying Experience." Keys to hospice: patience with the patient, family, and friends; symptom management with the goal to provide comfort.

Thank you.

+ Add a Comment