Got a new nurse in trouble

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I work in a SNF with many post acute rehab patients, so we have a lot of new admits, with the majority arriving on PM shift. We do not have a pharmacy or ADU onsite, so meds for new admits are not delivered until after midnight, on NOC shift. We have an Ekit, but it only contains antibiotics and narcs.

During a meeting we were told to "Hold" the meds that weren't available and document

" waiting on pharmacy for delivery" and endorse the administration to NOC shift. The major hospital we contract with didn't want to change the orders to administer when available, basically saying it was our problem.

Well many of the nurses "borrow" the first dose from other patients. I feel uncomfortable doing this especially since we have a clear written policy against it, so I always hold the meds. I was orienting a new grad and taught the new admit medication procedure to her. When she was on her own, she got a verbal warning for not administering a medication we didn't have. I feel personally responsible and not sure if I should speak up or let it go.

if the medication isn't available we have to get an order for a different med or an order to hold that dose, we are not supposed to ever chart that it wasn't given because we didn't have it. Thats delay of treatment, I believe.

Yes this is a problem. We have daily new admits, sometimes 2-3. Our pharm makes 3 deliveries per day, but for meds to be delivered by 5 pm they have to be ordered by 11 am and most admits aren't even confirmed until after that time and arrive between 4- 6pm. It wouldn't make sense to get a new order for a different medication when the new medication wouldn't even be available and the hospital has REFUSED to change the orders to administer when available. I am now worried about delay of treatment, never thought about that. Is my license at risk?

I wanted to thank everyone for the input. I figured the whole situation is shady, and it has been confirmed. And I have been trying to get out, I have been wanting to get out of SNFs for the last 2 years, most are all the same unfortunately. At least we have a written policy available to us, at my last facility if I had a question about a procedure or something I was told by my DON to look it on YouTube.

Specializes in hospice, LTC, public health, occupational health.

DON has no idea about med delivery schedule and doesn't know what's in the eKit.....

And YouTube.......

I guess they just let any idiot off the street be DONs in some places.

+ Add a Comment