All about the BSN

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hi, guys. I'm currently working on my pre-requisites for nursing school, though I don't know how soon I will be able to get in. I'm part of a system of schools that will dual-enroll you to a main university after getting accepted into the nursing program, so that after you obtain your ASN, you can transfer to the university and work on your BSN. My husband is planning on commissioning back into the military after he finishes his degree in a few years, so it has me wondering how I should plan to obtain my BSN if we're going to have to potentially move.

1) I don't know much about how the BSN programs work and I'm sure each school will be a bit different, but are you typically able to take all of the classes online?

2) How difficult is it to find a RN-BSN program that will accept my credits? Some of the schools that I briefly looked at already (in random states) seemed to only accept your credits if the RN was obtained at their university or at a neighboring community college that they had some type of partnership with.

3) This question might be more difficult to get a response to, but does anyone know if it's generally somewhat easy to contract with the military for an RN position on their bases? I know that other on-base "civilian" jobs were hard to come by because there was a plethora of spouses who wanted them already. Is it especially difficult if you only have an RN?

4) If I get licensed as an RN and then wait until I finish getting my BSN (about 2 years later) to work as an RN, will that make it difficult for me to get hired because I'm no longer a "new graduate" and now have a gap from nursing school, technically?

I appreciate any advice or clarification~

Can't help with the last two questions, but might be able to help some with the first two. My mother has her ADN and is currently getting her BSN. All of her classes and coursework can be done online. They have an option of going to a physical class for a lecture, but it's not required because the program is made for nurses who are working full time. The university I'm applying to for another tract has an RN to BSN program as well and that one is totally online. None of the RN to BSN programs my mom was looking into required that you got your ADN with them. Though I could see you running into different general ed requirements depending on the state and college.

Can't help with the last two questions, but might be able to help some with the first two. My mother has her ADN and is currently getting her BSN. All of her classes and coursework can be done online. They have an option of going to a physical class for a lecture, but it's not required because the program is made for nurses who are working full time. The university I'm applying to for another tract has an RN to BSN program as well and that one is totally online. None of the RN to BSN programs my mom was looking into required that you got your ADN with them. Though I could see you running into different general ed requirements depending on the state and college.

I'm glad to hear your mother was able to take her classes online; that's a huge relief. I'll probably still have to confirm with my school, but if I'm able to take their courses online then I won't have to worry about moving around, eh? Thank you for your input~

+ Add a Comment