Accredited Public NonProfit
BSN DNP MSN RN-to-MSN RN-to-BSN CRNA NP PhD Accelerated BSN Post-grad Certificate Other
- Location(s) West Virginia
- Telephone 1-304-293-4831
- Request Information
West Virginia University (WVU) is a public institution that was founded in 1867.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
The BSN program is offered on WVU's Morgantown, Beckley and Potomac State campuses. The program is six semesters of clinical nursing courses after completion of all pre-requisite courses. After completing all requirements of the program, the student can sit for the Registered Nurse (RN) licensure exam called the NCLEX and then be eligible for state RN licensure.
Bachelor of Science (BS)/Bachelor of Arts (BA) to BSN
The BS/BA to BSN program is an accelerated program for college graduates who wish to become a registered nurse with a bachelor's degree in nursing. The program, offered on the Morgantown campus, is designed for full-time study.
2016 NCLEX Pass Rates
- BSN - 96.26%
- BS/BA to BSN - 100%
Registered Nurse to BSN (RN-BSN)
Registered Nurses who have secured their Diploma or Associate of Science in Nursing degree (ASN/ADN) are eligible for the BSN program.
State Approvals for Clinical Placements
There are several states at this time that may not allow WVU nursing students to participate in a practicum experience. Therefore, a site placement cannot be guaranteed.
Faith Community Nursing Continuing Education
This course includes a Faith Community Nursing certificate. The course provides the nurse with the opportunity to apply for the national certification in Faith Community Nursing through the American Nurses Credentialing Center and can be completed in as little as two months using online and/or hybrid options.
RN to Master of Science in Nursing (RN-MSN)
Nurses who desire to go straight for a Master of Science in Nursing degree from their RN can enroll in the RN to MSN program.
This option is available for those who are interested in specializing and obtaining a national certification as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN). Certificates offered include the following:
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (PNP)
These programs are a minimum of 19 hours and the student plan will be individualized on their educational background.
MSN/MBA Dual Degree
The dual degree is made possible through collaboration with the WVU College of Business and Economics. This blended degree program is off campus, a total of 67 credit hours, predominately online in both synchronous and asynchronous formats, and includes four, 3-4 day residencies.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
The PhD in nursing is a part-time blended program with face-to-face and distance learning components. It requires approximately three years of coursework, delivered online during fall/Spring/Summer, followed by a qualifying examination. Students complete research and dissertation phases that culminate in the written/oral dissertation defense.
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
MSN to DNP
The MSN-DNP requires a total of 1,000 hours post-baccalaureate supervised clinical experience prior to graduation (includes clinical hours obtained during the MSN program).
This program is primarily online at the Morgantown and Charleston campuses and are via a variety of web-based modalities both in asynchronous and synchronous formats. Graduates are eligible to sit for advanced practice certification. Specialty tracks prepare students to certify as Pediatric and Family Nurse Practitioners.
DNP Nurse Anesthesia Major (CRNA)
This full-time DNP Nurse Anesthesia program will begin in the Spring of 2020 pending accreditation by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA). It will be a hybrid curriculum and will require students to take 87 credits and at least 2,000 clinical hours over 3 years (9 continuous semesters).
The baccalaureate degree in nursing, master's degree in nursing and Doctor of Nursing Practice programs at West Virginia University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
WVU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
US News & World Report (2019)
- #205 (tie) in National Universities
- #112 (tie) in Top Public Schools
- #51 (tie) in Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs
- #264-#346 in Best Online Bachelor's Programs
#609 (tie) Best Global Universities
- Best Big Colleges in America #77 of 131
- Top Public Universities in America #94 of 672
- Best College Campuses in America #194 of 1,408
- Best Colleges in America #272 of 1,647
- Best Colleges for Nursing in America #280 of 599
- Most Conservative Colleges in America #313 of 725
- Best College Locations in America #323 of 1,553
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #351 of 1,591
- Best Value Colleges in America #560 of 1,590
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #640 of 1,592
- Best Colleges in West Virginia #1 of 20
- Best Value Colleges in West Virginia #1 of 19
- Best College Campuses in West Virginia #1 of 17
- Most Conservative Colleges in West Virginia #2 of 13
- Most Diverse Colleges in West Virginia #3 of 16
- #406 Top Colleges
- #137 in Public Colleges
- #174 in Research Universities
- #80 in the South
- #202 America's Best Value Colleges
College Factual (2018-2019)
- #1 Best Colleges for the Money in West Virginia
- #519 Overall Best Colleges for the Money nationally
BestColleges.com listed WVU #2 Best Colleges in West Virginia (2018).
MONEY Magazine ranked WVU #496 Best Colleges For Your Money (2018).