- NCLEX Pass Rate 97
- Location West Chester, Pennsylvania
- Programs BSN, DNP, MSN, RN-to-BSN, CNS, Accelerated BSN, Other
- Visit Website Click For More Information!
Founded in 1871 as a public educational institute for teacher preparation, West Chester University (WCU) is the largest state-owned university in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
RN-BSN Fast Track
The RN-BSN Fast Track program is offered at the Philadelphia campus.
Combined with the curriculum, the state-of-the-art classrooms and the Center City location, the program serves the needs of adult learners who are able to balance work and family commitments.
The program for licensed nurses who wish to earn a BSN degree, is an innovative and flexible program. It can vary in length depending on how many credits the nurse is able to transfer from his or her previous degree. Students must attend class one night a week as well as individual clinical assessments and online coursework. Students are able to transfer credits from other nursing and general education courses as well as an option of a portfolio assessment for clinical experience.
Advance 2 BSN
The Advance 2 BSN is an accelerated second degree program. In the course of 17 months, this intensive program can help build upon a student’s previous education and enables an individual who already possesses a baccalaureate degree to earn a BSN. After completing the program, the student will be eligible to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) and become eligible to be licensed as a Registered Nurse (RN).
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
The MSN degree includes a total of eight core courses. After the courses are completed, students are able to choose from adult-gerontology clinical nurse specialist (CNS) or nursing education.
Graduates of the adult-gerontology CNS track are then eligible to sit for the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) certification exam in adult gerontology. Graduates of the nursing education track will be eligible to sit for the National League for Nursing (NLN) certified nurse educator exam. The program is a combination of face-to-face, hybrid, and distance-education formats.
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) is a terminal degree for advanced practice nurses to focus on a practice-oriented program of study. The first two-credit course is offered on campus then the program is offered in a distance-education format.
General Admissions Requirements (not all inclusive)
- Baccalaureate degree from a college/university accredited in the United States or the equivalent from a foreign college or university
- Minimum 2.8 undergraduate GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
- Official scores - GRE, GMAT, MAT if required by program of choice
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal goals statement
Ranking and Recognition
US News & World Report (2020)
- #68 (tie) in Regional Universities North
- #38 (tie) in Best Colleges for Veterans
- #69 in Best Value Schools
- #17 (tie) in Top Public Schools
- #176 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Master's
- #112 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Top Public Universities in America #205 of 672
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in America #264 of 1,542
- Best Value Colleges in America #350 of 1,590
- Best College Campuses in America #363 of 1,408
- Best College Dorms in America #368 of 1,370
- Best College Locations in America #466 of 1,553
- Best Colleges in America #539 of 1,647
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #632 of 1,591
- Top Public Universities in Pennsylvania #4 of 38
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in Pennsylvania #14 of 109
- Best College Campuses in Pennsylvania #15 of 104
- Best College Locations in Pennsylvania #24 of 107
- Best Colleges in Pennsylvania #33 of 111
- Colleges with the Best Academics in Pennsylvania #36 of 111
- Best Value Colleges in Pennsylvania #41 of 110
- Most Liberal Colleges in Pennsylvania #41 of 44
- Most Diverse Colleges in Pennsylvania #73 of 105
- Best Colleges in Philadelphia Area #15 of 36
- Best Value Colleges in Philadelphia Area #16 of 36
College Factual (2018-2019)
- #6 Best Colleges for the Money in Pennsylvania
- #490 Overall Best Colleges for the Money nationally
- #454 Top Colleges
- #155 in Public Colleges
- #168 in the Northeast
MONEY Magazine ranked WCU #246 Best Colleges For Your Money (2018-2019).
One of only four Pennsylvania schools ranked in the top 100 Kiplinger's "best buys" in American public higher education.
Designated a Military Friendly School by Victory Media, publisher of GI Jobs magazine.
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited the Baccalaureate degree in Nursing, the Master's degree in Nursing, and the Doctorate of Nursing Practice (DNP) programs at West Chester University.
West Chester University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Edited by sirI