Accredited Public NonProfit
BSN DNP MSN Entry-Level BSN MSN-to-DNP NP Accelerated BSN Post-grad Certificate Other
- Location(s) New York
- Telephone 1-718-390-3440
- Request Information
In 1883, Wagner College, a private, non-profit institution, was founded.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) – Traditional Four-Year
Prior to beginning the Nursing program, students must complete classes at Wagner College for one year (two semesters; not including Summer). After completion of the program, graduates are prepared to take the NCLEX-RN examination and then be eligible for state licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN).
The program is an intensive track to the BSN that prepares graduates to take the NCLEX-RN examination.
Admission (not all inclusive)
- Bachelor's degree from accredited college
- 3.0 GPA
- C+ or greater on pre-requisite courses
- Satisfactory results (a score of 60 or above) on entrance test (TEAS VI)
RN to BSN
This program is for current RNs that would like to complete their BSN.
Admission (not all inclusive) - NOTE: RN-BS Admissions are currently on hold (as of 5-23-19)
If an RN has not been actively involved in clinical practice for two or more years, they will be required to demonstrate clinical competency in either a clinical agency, Nursing Resource Center, or by taking a clinical competency exam, at the discretion of the faculty
- New York State RN license and current New York State registration
- Courses from other colleges will be accepted for transfer if the grade is 'C' or higher
- Last 9 units of any degree must be earned at Wagner College
- Credits earned through proficiency examinations, life experience, etc. cannot be counted as part of the required units
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Current employment as a Registered Nurse
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
Students accepted for the FNP track should be aware that prior to the registration for clinical courses, demonstration of annual physical examination with current immunizations and current malpractice insurance coverage is required.
Admission Requirements (not all inclusive)
- Completion of an accredited baccalaureate program with a major in nursing including a course in nursing research
- Minimum overall undergraduate GPA of 3.2
- Candidates with GPA below 3.2 (minimum 3.0) will need to take the GRE in order to be considered
- Current Registered Nurse License
- Family Nurse Practitioner track - submit documentation demonstrating current clinical practice
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The program is open to advanced practice nurses holding an MSN. Applicants who have an MSN with an advanced practice focus other than FNP will be individually evaluated
The classes are offered one evening per week and full-time students can complete the degree after seven semesters.
Programs of Study
Family Nurse Practitioner
Post Master's Advanced Certificate Program for FNP
The student completes 27 credits that is inclusive of precepted clinical practice. Students that complete this program will be certified by the New York State Education Department as Family Nurse Practitioners.
Admission Requirements (not all inclusive)
- Master's degree in nursing from an accredited program with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Current New York State licensure as a Professional Registered Nurse
- Malpractice insurance coverage
- Current immunization and physical examination
- Two (2) letters of reference
- Current CV or Resume
Accreditation and State Registration
The Middle States Commission on Higher Education accredited Wagner College.
The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) accredited the Bachelor's and Master's program.
The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program is registered with the New York State Education Department.
Rankings, Listings, and Accolades
US News & World Report (2019)
- #43 (tie) in Regional Universities North
- #56 in Best Value Schools
- #156 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Master's
- Best Colleges for Nursing in America #170 of 599
- Best Value Colleges in America #188 of 1,590
- Most Liberal Colleges in America #202 of 687
- Best College Locations in America #234 of 1,553
- Best Small Colleges in America #333 of 997
- Top Private Universities in America #437 of 975
- Best Colleges in America #714 of 1,647
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #1,122 of 1,592
- Best Colleges for Nursing in New York #9 of 38
- Best Value Colleges in New York #24 of 121
- Best Small Colleges in New York #25 of 72
- Most Liberal Colleges in New York #32 of 84
- Best College Locations in New York #38 of 123
- Top Private Universities in New York #43 of 91
- Best Colleges in New York #65 of 131
- Most Diverse Colleges in New York #93 of 126
- Best Value Colleges in New York City Area #17 of 83
- Best Colleges in New York City Area #39 of 89
- #354 Top Colleges
- #233 in Private Colleges
- #138 in the Northeast
The Princeton Review (2018-2019)
- The Best 384 Colleges
- Best Northeastern
College Factual (2018-2019)
- #74 Best Colleges for the Money in New York
- #895 Best Colleges for the Money nationally
Nurse.org listed Wagner College School of Nursing in the Top 10 Schools.
The Evelyn L. Spiro School of Nursing was named a 2012-2016 Center of Excellence in Nursing Education.
The National League for Nursing named Wagner College as a Designated Center of Excellence.