There are two distance education sites available for The School of Nursing: Longview and Palestine, Texas. The Baccalaureate Program is staffed and supported by full-time nursing faculty, lab personnel, and administrative support. The University of Texas at Tyler offers three campuses to give students access for quality education without the commutes to a campus and clinical sites.
When graduates complete the BSN curriculum at Tyler, Longview, or Palestine campuses, they are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nursing (NCLEX-RN) and then be eligible to receive state licensure as Registered Nurses (RN).
The Accelerated BSN track is for students who hold a previous non-nursing bachelor's degree and would like to become nurses by pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN). The program allows students to complete the BSN in 16 months and is only available on the Tyler campus.
The RN to BSN track is designed for registered nurses with an associate of science in nursing degree or a diploma in nursing.
UT Tyler RN-BSN Advantages
- Virtual classroom - all online
- 1-year flexible full- and part-time options including clinical practicum
- Faculty advising at anytime
- Complete degree and work simultaneously
- Rated Best Online Undergraduate Nursing Programs of 2015 by Super Scholar
Dual Degree Partnership with Jarvis Christian College
Joint Baccalaureate Studies Nursing Program partners with The University of Texas at Tyler to provide the highest quality nursing education for the greatest number of students. It is done with collaborating the tools and resources from both facilities. Students who complete the dual degree program will receive a Bachelor of Science degree from Jarvis Christian College and after completion of the professional nursing courses, a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from The University of Texas at Tyler.
Academic advising is provided within the program by faculty from both institutions. After completion of the second year of prerequisites, Jarvis students must contact the UT Tyler pre-nursing advisor to ensure that the admission process is being followed correctly.
The general education and nursing prerequisites will be completed at Jarvis. Then, after completion of these courses, students will then be considered for admission to the nursing program if the overall GPA and nursing prerequisite GPA is 2.75 or higher.
Nursing Education Certificate
This online program is for master's prepared nurses who are looking to add a certificate in education.
Nursing Administration Certificate
This program is for nurses who are looking to go into the administrative side of nursing and would like to obtain a certification. The program is online.
This program is for those who would like an MSN and MBA simultaneously, earning a dual degree.
MSN Nurse Education - Online
MSN Nurse Administrator - Online
MSN Family Nurse Practitioner
The program consists of 48 semester credit hours: 26 online, 22 clinical hours offered in a Web-enhanced format requiring time on the Tyler campus. It is a hybrid type of learning program.
Post-MSN Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate
This program is for those who would like to complete a post-masters family nurse practitioner certificate. The program consists of 29 semester credit hours: 7 online, 22 clinical hours offered in a Web-enhanced format requiring time on the Tyler campus.
Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing (PhD)
MS to PhD and BSN to PhD
The doctorate in nursing degree is a terminal degree offered 100% online with a small exception of a five-day orientation each Summer prior to beginning coursework.
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The DNP at The University of Texas at Tyler has an advantage over other DNP programs in the United States because it allows nurses to study online and remain in the communities in which they work and live. There is a Clinical Practice Track available as well as a Leadership Track to train and become an experienced nurse leader in a variety of settings.
The DNP Program has a total of 42 required credit hours and 1,000 clinical hours. The total number of clinical hours includes the clinical hours earned during his or her MSN program.
MSN Requirements (not all inclusive)
- BSN from college/university approved by a recognized national accrediting body
- Minimum 3.0 GPA on undergrad work
- Statistics course - grade C or better
- Current RN license in state of clinical practicum
PhD Requirements (not all inclusive)
- BSN or MSN from a college/university approved by a recognized national accrediting body
- Minimum 3.0 GPA previous adademic work
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores within the past five years
- Current RN license
DNP Requirements (not all inclusive)
- MSN from a college/university approved by a recognized national accrediting body
- Minimum 3.0 GPA on course work
Post Master's Certificate Requirements (not all inclusive)
- MSN from college/university approved by a recognized national accrediting body
- Minimum 3.0 GPA graduate work
- Current RN license in state for clinical practicum
US News & World Report (2018-2019)
- #81 (tie) in Regional Universities West
- #27 (tie) in Top Public Schools
- #19 (tie) in Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs
- #10 in Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs for Veterans
- #160 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Master's
- Top Public Universities in America #272
- Best College Campuses in America #478
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #541
- Most Conservative Colleges in America #581
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #600
- Best Colleges in America #699
- Best Value Colleges in America #1,026
- Top Public Universities in Texas #17
- Colleges with the Best Academics in Texas #23
- Best College Campuses in Texas #29
- Best College Dorms in Texas #29
- Most Diverse Colleges in Texas #30
- Best Colleges in Texas #34
- Most Conservative Colleges in Texas #40
- Safest College Campuses in Texas #45
- Best Value Colleges in Texas #50
affordablecolleges.com ranked UT Tyler #1 in the nation for Affordability of Online Master's in Nursing Programs (2018).
The Princeton Review included UT Tyler among the "Best in the West" schools.
In Washington Monthly, the University of Texas at Tyler was also crowned the 264th best master's-level institution for "contribution to the public good."
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited the baccalaureate and master's nursing programs.
The University of Texas at Tyler is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.