- NCLEX Pass Rate 97
- Location Coral Gables, Florida
- Programs BSN, DNP, MSN, RN-to-BSN, Entry-Level BSN, MSN-to-DNP, MSN to PhD, CRNA, NP, PhD, BSN-to-PhD, BSN-to-DNP, Accelerated BSN, Post-grad Certificate, Other
- Visit Website Click For More Information!
The University of Miami (UM) is a private, non-profit institution that was founded in 1925.
The University of Miami School of Nursing and Health Studies has become one of the top healthcare educational programs in the world.
The Accelerated BSN Program can be completed in 12 months. The curriculum is based on classroom and clinical education to help prepare students to pass the NCLEX-RN Exam. There are 170 clinical partners who help provide hands-on care for the clinical practicum.
Frequently Asked Questions
With this accelerated program, are graduates adequately prepared to pass the NCLEX?
Though the program is intense and face paced, the Accelerated BSN students consistently obtain some of the highest NCLEX scores in South Florida and the nation.
Is there a time frame when the prerequisites are taken?
Prerequisites are accepted if the courses were taken from an accredited institution with a grade of C or better.
Are any of the nursing courses taught online?
All Accelerated BSN courses are taught on-site.
Letter grade requirements for the traditional BSN program
- Minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA on all undergraduate course work
- Minimum 3.3 prerequisite GP
- Grade of C or better all prerequisite courses
- Grade of C- or below considered failed prerequisite
Admission Requirements (not all inclusive)
- Active/unrestricted Florida RN License
- Minimum 2.5 Transfer GPA
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Informatics
Family Nurse Practitioner
The Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) Program transitions into a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) and the student is eligible to take the FNP specialty certification examination offered by either the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) or the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
RNs with a master’s degree in nursing (MSN) are eligible to apply to the program. If the student holds a non-nursing Master’s the admission eligibility will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. A GRE score is not required.
The DNP program is run based on cohort availability. Fall and Spring semesters are the admission times, with both part-time and full time options. As cohorts are opened, the school will publish application deadline dates. Only applicants who have submitted all required documentation will be invited to interview.
The capstone is a project using knowledge the student has acquired over the last two semesters. Students use the knowledge as it applies to theory and evidence-based nursing practice to complete a scholarly project. Practice change is the goal and the school partners with organizations looking for that change. A written report of the experience detailing the process is submitted with an evaluation received during the second semester.
BSN-DNP Nurse Anesthesia Track
This track is a 3-year (9 semesters) full-time program and is offered to post baccalaureate nurses who graduated from an NLN and/or CCNE accredited institution and who have a minimum of (2) years of ICU experience within the last (5) years (not all inclusive).
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
The dual-path PhD includes the MSN-to-PHD-(41-credits) and/or the BSN-to-PhD (62-credits). It is affiliated with UM-Leonard Miller School of Medicine and the NIH-funded Center of Excellence for Health Disparities Research: El Centro
Please note: The BSN to PhD option does not award a Master’s Degree.
Students holding an MSN may complete their required courses and dissertation in as little as 6 full-time semesters of study. BSN-prepared students may complete their required courses and dissertation in as little as 7 full-time semesters plus 2 Summer semesters.
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited the RN-to-BSN, The BSN Traditional, The BSN Accelerated, The MSN Family Nurse Practitioner, The MSN Adult-Gerontology Primary and Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, and The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) programs.
The Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA) accredited the BSN-DNP Nurse Anesthesia Track.
The University of Miami is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
US News & World Report (2019)
- #53 (tie) in National Universities
- #26 (tie) in Best Colleges for Veterans
- #65 in Best Value Schools
- #28 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Master's
- #28 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Doctor of Nursing Practice
- #88 (tie) in Nursing-Anesthesia
- #185 (tie) in Best Global Universities
- #100 Top Colleges
- #78 in Private Colleges
- #54 in Research Universities
- #15 in the South
- #198 America's Best Value Colleges
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #22 of 1,592
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in America #29 of 1,542
- Best Colleges for Nursing in America #33 of 599
- Top Private Universities in America #64 of 975
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #79 of 1,591
- Best Colleges in America #81 of 1,647
- Best College Locations in America #170 of 1,553
- Best College Campuses in America #202 of 1,408
- Best Value Colleges in America #414 of 1,590
- Most Liberal Colleges in America #415 of 687
- Top Private Universities in Florida #1 of 38
- Best Colleges for Nursing in Florida #1 of 24
- Best Colleges in Florida #2 of 75
- Most Diverse Colleges in Florida #2 of 75
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in Florida #4 of 71
- Best Value Colleges in Florida #5 of 67
- Most Liberal Colleges in Florida #9 of 18
- Best College Locations in Florida #11 of 70
- Best College Campuses in Florida #12 of 41
- Best Colleges in Miami Area #1 of 18
- Best Value Colleges in Miami Area #1 of 18
The Princeton Review (2018-2019)
- The Best 384 Colleges
- Best Southeastern
- Green Colleges
MONEY Magazine ranked UM #316 Best Colleges For Your Money (2018-2019).