The University of Louisiana at Monroe (ULM) is a public institution that was founded in 1931. The Kitty DeGree School of Nursing was founded in 1960 and graduated the first class of baccalaureate nurses in 1964.
Traditional BSN Students
Admission requirements for the pre-nursing program state that for the first three semesters, a pre-nursing student will receive instruction in general education and the basic physical and biological sciences.
A cumulative grade point average of 2.8 in all required pre-nursing courses with no letter grade of less than 'C' accepted in any pre-nursing course is required.
After successful completion of Semester I (Nursing 2004, 2009), students are eligible to receive a certificate as a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA).
Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Many nurses who have graduated with an Associate of Science in Nursing degree or Diploma in Nursing are going back to school to obtain a BSN and many go on to an MSN.
Admission (not all inclusive)
- Graduate from a state-approved and nationally accredited Diploma or Associate degree nursing program (CCNE, ACEN)
- Unencumbered, unrestricted RN license
- Minimum 2.0 GPA in all required pre-nursing courses
Licensed Practical Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing LPN to BSN
A minimum of 9 semester nursing credit hours are awarded to LPNs after the requirements are complete. Completion time is about 2 years.
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
Admission Requirements (not all inclusive)
- Regular admission requirements to the School of Graduate Studies is required for all graduate level students. MSN degree applicants must also meet the following criteria:
- BSN from a nationally accredited school of nursing
- Current, unencumbered RN license
- Cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher
- GRE, taken within 5 years of admission (minimum score: Verbal 140, Quantitative 140, Analytical 2.5)
- Minimum work experience as an RN - (2) years
- Written essay
ONLINE Program Concentrations
- Gerontological Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL)
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGPCNP)
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)
CNL Program Requirements (not all inclusive)
- 36 credit hours for completion of the MSN degree
- Clinical - minimum 400 clinical contact hours throughout this curriculum under the direct supervision of an approved clinical preceptor
AGPCNP Program Requirements (not all inclusive)
- 40 credit hours for completion of the MSN degree
- Clinical - minimum 640 clinical contact hours in primary health care settings under the direction of an approved clinical preceptor
FNP Program Requirements (not all inclusive)
- 40 hours for completion of the MSN degree
- Clinical - 640 clinical contact hours in primary health care settings under the direction of an approved clinical preceptor
Community Service Requirement
ULM Kitty DeGree School of Nursing requires a minimum of four hours of faculty approved community service each academic semester.
"Why am I required to do community service?"
Volunteerism plays a key part in developing the role of the professional Nurse. Volunteer service will give the student first-hand opportunities to serve the public as they assess and refer vulnerable individuals for further healthcare evaluation. Community Service is in-line with the ULM School of Nursing's mission.
Approval and Accreditation
ULM Nursing programs are approved by the Louisiana State Board of Nursing.
The baccalaureate degree and master's degree programs in nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
The University of Louisiana at Monroe is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
US News & World Report (2019)
- #230-#301 in National Universities
- #217 (tie) in Best Online Bachelor's Programs
- #173 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Master's
- Top Public Universities in America #196 of 672
- Best College Campuses in America #235 of 1,408
- Best College Dorms in America #454 of 1,370
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in America #483 of 1,542
- Best Colleges in America #521 of 1,647
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #557 of 1,591
- Best Value Colleges in America #626 of 1,590
- Most Liberal Colleges in America #651 of 687
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #718 of 1,592
- Safest College Campuses in America #859 of 1,357
- Best College Campuses in Louisiana #3 of 18
- Best College Dorms in Louisiana #4 of 18
- Top Public Universities in Louisiana #4 of 14
- Best Value Colleges in Louisiana #6 of 20
- Best Colleges in Louisiana #8 of 20
- Most Diverse Colleges in Louisiana #8 of 20
- Colleges with the Best Academics in Louisiana #9 of 20
- Safest College Campuses in Louisiana #10 of 19
Collegestart.org named ULM no. 1 in the nation for best value online RN to BSN for 2016-17.
ULM has been ranked in the top 10 of nursing schools in the U.S. According to CollegeAtlas.org, ULM's nursing ranking was based on the university's overall "A-List" score as well as its NCLEX-RN pass rate.
CollegeAtlas.org in its "A-List,” or list of top United States Nursing Schools, has also ranked the University of Louisiana at Monroe Kitty DeGree School of Nursing the number nine nursing school in the nation for 2014.