- Location Livonia, Michigan
- Programs ASN/ADN, LPN, Other
- Visit Website Click For More Information!
Schoolcraft College, established in 1961, offers a variety of options for the Nursing Career: Practical Nursing (LPN), Advanced Placement for Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN to RN), and Registered Nursing (RN). It is a public entity.
Practical Nursing Certificate (LPN)
The Practical (PN) certificate is available to all students that finish the first year of the registered nurse, associate degree program. Students attend classes at the Livonia Campus. To obtain the certificate, students must complete the first-year courses and a specific practical nursing leadership course during the summer semester. After the first year of the RN program and the prep summer course, students are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nursing (NCLEX-PN) and become eligible for state licensure as an LPN.
Associate of Applied Science in Nursing (AAS)
Graduates of the Registered (RN) Associate of Applied Science in Nursing (AAS) degree program are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nursing (NCLEX-RN) and become eligible for state licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN).
Licensed Practical Nurse Advanced Placement (LPN to RN)
This option (LPN to RN) offers LPNs who are licensed in Michigan to apply for advanced placement into the second year of the associate degree in applied science (AAS) registered nursing program for eligibility to take the NCLEX-RN examination. Nursing courses are offered at the Livonia campus.
There are four 7-week sessions for the second year courses. Clinical rotations are required along with lecture and lab time. If requirements are met, students are able to complete their RN curriculum and then be eligible to take the NCLEX-RN licensure exam. The clinical sessions are offered on day or afternoon shifts with weekend rotations.
Typically, courses offer one day of theory and two days of clinical sessions. Clinical days are not always sequential days of the week but offered upon site availability.
Admission LPN to RN (not all inclusive)
- Hold an active, unrestricted LPN license in the State of Michigan
- Have current work experience as an LPN or recent graduate from a practical nursing program within the last two years
- Official undergraduate transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended
- Minimum assessment levels of course work in the areas of math, reading, and writing
- Students with prior college level work or a degree may be exempt from General college placement testing
- Students who have submitted ACT or SAT scores that are less than three years old may also be exempt from assessment testing
- Achieve minimum scores on TEAS exam
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5/C+ or better for all college level prerequisites and supportive courses
- Health/clinical placement requirements including a health questionnaire/physical exam
- TB testing
- Immunization records
- Negative urine drug screen
- Criminal background check
PN and RN nursing program courses must be taken in order with a minimum grade of 80% plus a satisfactory clinical performance evaluation in specific nursing courses for progression to the next course. Required testing is done by computer in all nursing courses. The required prerequisite academic courses, excluding nursing courses, must be completed according to program requirements or with a minimum grade of 2.0. The ongoing admitted students in the practical or registered nursing program start the program in the fall semester. Health and clinical requirements, negative drug screen on first attempt, and negative criminal background check are required by all students.
NCLEX Pass Rates
- 2017 - LPN - 100%
- 2018 - RN - 92%
Accreditation and Approval
The Higher Learning Commission accredited Schoolcraft College.
The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) nationally accredited the associate degree and practical nursing programs.
The Michigan Board of Nursing approved the associate degree and practical nursing programs.
- Best College Locations in America #148 of 1,553
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #1,170 of 1,592
- Best College Locations in Michigan #4 of 47
- Most Diverse Colleges in Michigan #30 of 52
The college was named as the sixth-best community college in the nation for value (2016) by College Values.
Schoolcraft College was listed by BestEducationSchools.com in their Education Rankings for 2017.
Edited by sirI