- NCLEX Pass Rate 92
- Location Notre Dame, Indiana
- Programs BSN, DNP, NP, Other
- Website URL Visit Website
Saint Mary's College was founded in 1844 by the Sisters of the Holy Cross. It is a four-year, Catholic, liberal arts college. The core values at Saint Mary's are based on learning, community, faith, spirituality, and justice. For more than 170 years, the College still holds true to these values.
Bachelor of Science with a Major in Nursing (BSN)
The Bachelor of Science with a Major in Nursing core courses and general liberal arts courses are taken at the beginning the degree. Sophomore year, clinicals begin. Clinicals are held in hospitals, long-term care facilities, health departments, and community settings, to name a few. After completion of the program, graduates are able to take the NCLEX-RN exam and become eligible for state licensure as an RN.
There are opportunities to utilize the experience gained as a student outside the classroom through externship opportunities. There were recent summer externships in cardiovascular and vascular surgery at the University of Michigan. Others have undertaken externships at the Mayo Clinic, UCLA Medical Center and Case Western Reserve MetroHealth System.
Admission GPA Requirements (not all inclusive)
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 in all general education (non-science) courses
- Minimum prerequisite science GPA 2.80
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The classes are on a part-time basis with 2-3 classes per term and primarily online.
Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AG-ACNP)
Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AG-PCNP)
Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)
At the end of the program, the graduate will be eligible for state licensure as a nurse practitioner and be eligible to sit for the American Nurses Credentialing Center - Board Certified (BC) - certification as an Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP-BC), Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGPCNP-BC) or Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP-BC).
The capstone project is based on developing the population-focused business plan.
Application Requirements (not all inclusive)
- BSN from nationally accredited (NLN or CCNE) college or university
- Maintain at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA in undergraduate coursework
- Official transcripts from all previously attended institutions
- Unencumbered license or eligibility for RN licensure in the State where clinical course work hours will be completed
- Three letters of recommendation from academic and/or other professionals
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Personal interview(s) with faculty
- Application to the AG-ACNP track - acute care work experience is required either prior to enrollment or within the first year of the program
The program itself will take 12 semesters, or over four years including four summer terms and 77 credits to complete. This also includes 1,000 supervised clinical practicum hours. A capstone practice project with an oral defense is required.
Accreditation and Approval
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited the baccalaureate degree in nursing.
The Doctor of Nursing Practice program at Saint Mary’s College is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
Saint Mary's College is accredited through the Higher Learning Commission.
The Indiana State Board of Nursing approved the baccalaureate degree in nursing program.
US News & World Report (2019)
- #95 (tie) in National Liberal Arts Colleges
- #63 in Best Value Schools
- Best Women's Colleges in America #10
- Best Catholic Colleges in America #46
- Best Liberal Arts Colleges in America #95
- Best Colleges for Nursing in America #144
- Best Small Colleges in America #155
- Best Value Colleges in America #232
- Top Private Universities in America #255
- Best Colleges in America #402
- Most Liberal Colleges in America #420
- Best Catholic Colleges in Indiana #2
- Most Liberal Colleges in Indiana #4
- Best Liberal Arts Colleges in Indiana #4
- Best Colleges for Nursing in Indiana #5
- Best Value Colleges in Indiana #9
- Best Small Colleges in Indiana #9
- Top Private Universities in Indiana #12
- Best Colleges in Indiana #15
- Best College Campuses in Indiana #25
- Most Diverse Colleges in Indiana #29
- Best Value Colleges in South Bend Area #2
- Best Colleges in South Bend Area #3
- #262 Top Colleges
- #179 in Private Colleges
- #87 in Liberal Arts Universities
- #56 in the Midwest
Saint Mary's College ranked #162 in MONEY's 2018-2019 Best Colleges For Your Money.
Edited by sirI