- NCLEX Pass Rate 91
- Location St. Louis, Missouri
- Programs BSN, DNP, RN-to-BSN, Entry-Level BSN, MSN-to-DNP, MSN to PhD, CNL, NP, PhD, BSN-to-PhD, Accelerated BSN, Post-grad Certificate, Other
- Website URL Visit Website
Saint Louis University, a private, non-profit, Catholic, Jesuit institution, was founded in 1818. Saint Louis University is one of the nation's oldest and most prestigious Catholic universities. Madrid, Spain is home to one of the campuses.
Traditional Four-Year Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
SLU's direct-entry BSN program is designed for the student coming straight from high school or for students that are transferring from another community college or university. The program offers study abroad programs as well as clinical experiences throughout the St. Louis area hospitals and advanced simulation labs.
Accelerated One-Year Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN)
SLU’s ABSN program is designed for students that hold a bachelor’s degree in another non-nursing field and would like to complete a BSN in 12 months. The program only begins once a year, in late May.
Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN-BSN)
This program is designed for students that are licensed registered nurses and would like to complete their BSN. This program is 100% online and requires no campus visits.
Accelerated Master of Science in Nursing (AMSN)
This program is for students that have a Bachelor's degree in another non-nursing field. It is direct entry and 21 months in length. Students will earn a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) and be prepared to sit for both the nursing licensure exam to become a Registered Nurse and certification as a Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL).
Master of Science in Nursing Nurse Practitioner (MSN NP)
The Master of Science in Nursing Nurse Practitioner program is for nurses that hold an RN degree and would like to become nurse practitioners. This program is online. The nurse must hold a BSN. There are full- and part-time options available. The program takes between two and four years to complete. There are only two campus visits required during the program. Clinicals can be completed outside the St. Louis area.
Master of Science in Nursing Clinical Nurse Leader (MSN CNL)
The program is offered online, available as a part-time or full-time program and can be complete in two years.
Doctor of Nursing Practice - Post-Baccalaureate (BSN-DNP)
SLU's BSN-DNP program is designed as a practice-focused doctoral degree that educates nurses to become expert clinicians and leaders in health policy. There are four campus visits required and can be completed in four to five years.
Doctor of Nursing Practice - Post-Master's (MSN-DNP)
This program is available to students that hold a master's degree in an advanced practice area such as a nurse practitioner or clinical nurse specialist. This is a 28-credit-hour program that requires two trips to campus and is able to be completed in two years.
Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing - Post-Baccalaureate (BSN-PhD) and Post-Master's (MSN-PhD)
SLU's Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing degree program is an innovative program that prepares nurses to become scholars and skilled researchers. There are online and on-campus options and a part-time and full-time study plan available.
Post-Master’s Nurse Practitioner Certificate (Post-MSN NP Certificate)
The online post-master's certificate is designed for students that hold an MSN and would like to pursue coursework for the nurse practitioner role. There are two campus visits required and clinical requirements as well.
SLU's post-master's nurse practitioner certificate programs are completed completely online with two visits to the campus.
Adult/Gerontological Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
Adult/Gerontological Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
Family Nurse Practitioner
Family Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
Accreditation and Approval
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited the baccalaureate degree in nursing, master's degree in nursing and Doctor of Nursing Practice programs at Saint Louis University.
Saint Louis University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
The Missouri State Board of Nursing approved the programs in the School of Nursing.
Rankings and Accolades
US News & World Report (2019-2020)
- #106 (tie) in National Universities
- #68 (tie) in Best Colleges for Veterans
- #36 in Best Value Schools
- #35 (tie) in Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs
- #74 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Master's
- #60 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Doctor of Nursing Practice
- #567 (tie) in Best Global Universities
- Best Colleges for Nursing in America #5
- Best Catholic Colleges in America #8
- Colleges with the Best Professors in America #47
- Top Private Universities in America #104
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #133
- Best Colleges in America #145
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in America #247
- Best College Locations in America #264
- Best Value Colleges in America #277
- Best College Campuses in America #452
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #545
- Most Liberal Colleges in America #585
- Best Colleges for Nursing in Missouri #1
- Best Catholic Colleges in Missouri #1
- Best Colleges in Missouri #2
- Colleges with the Best Academics in Missouri #2
- Colleges with the Best Professors in Missouri #2
- Top Private Universities in Missouri #2
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in Missouri #6
- Most Liberal Colleges in Missouri #6
- Best Value Colleges in Missouri #7
- Best College Locations in Missouri #10
- Most Diverse Colleges in Missouri #11
- Best College Campuses in Missouri #13
- Best Colleges in St. Louis Area #2
- Best Value Colleges in St. Louis Area #3
- #187 Top Colleges
- #130 in Private Colleges
- #99 in Research Universities
- #31 in the Midwest
The Princeton Review (2018-2019)
- The Best 384 Colleges: 2019 Edition
- #18 for "Most Popular Study Abroad Program" (2018)
SLU ranked No. 133 on Kiplinger's list of the 200 top values in American private universities for 2018.
SLU is one of only nine Catholic universities to receive a Carnegie Classification of "higher" or "highest" research activity.
Edited by sirI